Blades Carve ICE in Cranbrook Farewell
The Saskatoon Blades made their final visit to Western Financial Place in Cranbrook a memorable one on Friday night with an 8-3 victory to extend their winning streak to six games. Saskatoon also improves their unbeaten streak to 12 games at 10-0-2-0 and an overall record of 36-13-8-0.
The Blades were firing on all cylinders Friday night and the onslaught began early. Max Gerlach (36) and Eric Florchuk (19) scored on the first two shots on goal for the Blades to make it 2-0. Florchuk's tally was his 100th career point in the Western Hcokey League. Kyle Crnkovic (8) then made it 3-0 on Saskatoon's first power play of the game.
Eric Florchuk (20) joined the 20 goal club with his 2nd of the night, again coming on the power play 7:01 into the middle frame. Finally the ICE were able to respond through captain Peyton Krebs (19), who redirected a saucer pass from Jaeger White on a n ICE power play.
However, the momentum was short-lived as Chase Wouters (14) intercepted an errant pass in the neutral zone and proceeded to beat ICE netminder Jesse Makaj over the glove making it 5-1 for the visitors. Wouters then helped Kirby Dach set up Ryan Hughes (22) on another man advantage; 6-1 was the score after 40 minutes.
Rookie Kyle Crnkovic (9) made it 7-1 early in the third period after banking in a shot off the back of Makaj from behind the Kootenay goal. Crnkovic then assisted on the Blades' 8th goal of the night by Ryan Hughes (23) for his fourth point of the evening.
Kootenay managed to get two more goals by Dorrin Luding courtesy of Jaeger White (22) and Martin Bodak (10), but it was too little too late as the Blades comfortably skated to the 8-3 rout.
Saskatoon outshot Kootenay 46-31, went 3/5 on the power play and 3/4 on the penalty kill.
Dorrin Luding picked up his 7th win of the season with a 28 save performance including 14 in the first period.
Eric Florchuk: 2 goals, 1 assist, 2 SOG, 11/15 in face-offs, 1st star
Kyle Crnkovic: 2 goals, 2 assists, +4, 2nd star
Ryan Hughes: 2 goals, 4 SOG
Dawson Davidson had 2 assists extending his point streak to 15 games (2G-24A).
Max Gerlach had 1G-1A to extend his point streak to 13 games (12G-11A).
Eric Florchuk's first goal of the night was his 100th career WHL point.
Kyle Crnkovic's 2G-2A was his 1st career 4-point game.
Reece Harsch had 2 assists and a +2 rating.
The Blades wrap up their road trip Saturday night in Lethbridge against the Hurricanes. Next home game for the Blades is Saturday, February 23rd, versus the Kootenay ICE at 7:00pm at SaskTel Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Hitmen Sweep Medicine Hat - Calgary Hitmen
- Raiders Fall To Wheat Kings In Brandon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Warriors Double up Pats, 6-3 - Regina Pats
- Preview: Blades Roll into Lethbridge for Clash with Canes - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Red Deer - Game #56 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 57 vs Calgary - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, February 16 at Medicine Hat - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Win Big on the Road - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Hit the Road to Moose Jaw to Take on the Warriors Saturday - Regina Pats
- ICE Fall 8-3 to Red-Hot Saskatoon Blades - Kootenay Ice
- Cougars Now Winless in 14 - Prince George Cougars
- Kindopp Pair Lifts 'Tips - Everett Silvertips
- T-Birds Get Fancy to Chase Down Rebels - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rebels Collapse in Second Period, Fall to T-Birds Despite Third-Period Rally - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Take Down Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Giants Hold off Chiefs to Earn Sixth Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Blades Carve ICE in Cranbrook Farewell - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Held by Everett, 3-1 - Kelowna Rockets
- Slow Start Hurts Broncos in 7-2 Loss to Canes - Swift Current Broncos
- Ams Hold Early Lead, Beat Blazers 5-3 - Tri-City Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saskatoon Blades Stories
- ICE Claim Back-To-Back Victories over Blades
- Game Preview: Blades in Winnipeg for Game 2 of 3 Game Mini-Series
- ICE Breeze Past Blades on Saturday Night
- Game Preview: Blades Start 3 Game Mini-Series against Ice in Winnipeg
- Pokecheck's Birthday Party Presented by Save-On-Foods October 25th