Biscuits Drop Finale, Win Series over Lookouts
CHATTANOOGA, Ten. - The Biscuits (51-44) won their series against the Chattanooga Lookouts (43-51) on Monday night, defeating their North Division rivals by a score of 11-7 after resuming their suspended game from Sunday, but then lost the series finale, 8-1. With Birmingham's win against Tennessee earlier in the night, Montgomery now finds themselves in a three-way tie for first place in the Second Half North Division with the Barons and Smokies.
The Biscuits and Lookouts resumed their suspended game in the third inning when Montgomery put up a five-spot against Chattanooga reliever Dietrich Enns (0-4) thanks to a two-run triple from Dalton Kelly, a wild pitch, an RBI-triple from David Rodriguez, and a Mac James RBI-single.
Chattanooga answered back with a five-run inning of their own in the fourth against Biscuits reliever Matt Krook, and led 7-5 at the end of six. In the seventh, however, Montgomery erupted for another five-run inning courtesy of a Peter Maris sac fly, a two-run single by James, and a two-run double by Danny De La Calle. A wild pitch would give the Biscuits their 11
th and final run of the game, as Roel Ramirez (3-1) and Mike Broadway combined for five scoreless innings of relief.
Genesis Cabrera (6-6) started the series finale, and after a Jaylin Davis RBI-single in the first was canceled out by a Nathan Lukes RBI-double in the third, the 21-year-old lefty experienced what was perhaps his worst stretch in any one outing this season, walking three-consecutive batters with the bases loaded to put Chattanooga up 4-1. Cabrera was then removed for Travis Ott who hit Tanner English in the head with his first pitch to bring in another run, and then walked another batter with the bases loaded to make it 6-1. English launched a two-run homer in the fifth for the final two runs of the night in what was a win on bullpen day for Chattanooga.
The Biscuits will have an off day on Tuesday, and will then return to Riverwalk Stadium to open up a five-game series with the Mississippi Braves on Wednesday, July 18 when there will be a Bucket Hat Giveaway. The series will also include Outdoors Night featuring a Hunter Camo T-Shirt Giveaway on Thursday, July 19, First Responders Night & MAX Fireworks on Friday, July 20, Millennial Night featuring a Participation Ribbon Giveaway & MAX Fireworks on Saturday, July 21, and then a Mascot Poster Giveaway on Sunday, July 22.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 16, 2018
- Erceg Shines in Biloxi's Series Win over Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Lookouts Take Second Game of Doubleheader, 8-1 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Shuckers Win Rubber Match over Jumbo Shrimp, 8-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Westbrook, Robertson Rally Generals Past Mobile for Sweep - Jackson Generals
- Barons Bats Smoke Tennessee In Finale, 9-2 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Drop Finale, Win Series over Lookouts - Montgomery Biscuits
- BayBears Lead Slips Away Late in Series Finale Loss - Mobile BayBears
- Monday's Night's Game with Pensacola Cancelled by Rain - Mississippi Braves
- Series Finale against Braves Washed Away - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Miller to Jacksonville; Millan to Jupiter - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Salazar, Sobotka Earn Weekly Honors - Mississippi Braves
- Diaz Southern League Player of the Week - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Back in Birmingham for 10 Games - Birmingham Barons
- Shuckers Raise over $5,000 with Jersey Auction - Biloxi Shuckers
- Jimmy Lambert Named SL Pitcher of the Week - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League Weekly Awards: July 9-15 - SL
- Generals Scorch Mobile, 20-8 - Jackson Generals
- BayBears Take Lead in Sixth, But Generals Explode Late - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.