Birds Hit Three Home Runs, Can't Overcome Saints
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- The Sioux Falls Canaries trimmed the score down to one run four separate times but ultimately fell to the St. Paul Saints 5-4 on Wednesday night.
Damek Tomscha went 4-for-4 with a home run and two RBI but the Saints countered each run the Canaries would score.
St. Paul broke through in the top of the second inning when Drew Stankiewicz hit a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded to make the score 1-0. All runners tagged on the play, and Nate Samson scored on a wild pitch to extend the lead to 2-0.
Sioux Falls cut the deficit in half when Mike Hart hit a solo home run to make the score 2-1.
Max Murphy put the Saints back up by two runs when he hit a solo home run extending the lead to 3-1.
Andrew Ely led off the bottom of the fifth with a double and Tomscha drove him in on a double of his own to cut the score to 3-2.
The Saints battled back immediately in the top of the sixth. Alonzo Harris was on second base when Chris Chinea hit a fly ball to right field. Harris tagged at second and the throw came in offline, allowing him to score and push the lead to 4-2.
Once again the Birds countered with a run in the bottom of the seventh when Damek Tomscha knocked a solo home run to trim the score to 4-3.
St. Paul scored another unearned run when Max Murphy reached on a leadoff error. Murphy stole second and with two outs Chesny Young doubled him home making the score 5-3.
The Canaries cut the lead back down one last time in the bottom of the eighth when Clint Coulter hit a solo home run down the left field line to make the score 5-4.
The Birds put the tying run on base in the bottom of the ninth but were unable to score.
The Sioux Falls Canaries host the St. Paul Saints for the final time at the Birdcage this season Thursday August 27. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Images from this story
Damek Tomscha at bat for the Sioux Falls Canaries
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 27, 2020
- RedHawks Walk-Off on Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Trounce Canaries with Season High 11-Run Fourth, Win 14-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Milwaukee Pitching Stifles Dogs in Shutout Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Expands Finals to Seven Game Series - AA
- Milkmen Come up Short against Dogs in Game Two - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Goldeyes Swept in Double Header - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Sweep Doubleheader to Clinch Series Win over Winnipeg - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Birds Hit Three Home Runs, Can't Overcome Saints - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Hang on against Canaries for 5-4 Victory - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.