Big Inning Dooms Round Rock in 6-2 Loss to Oklahoma City
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (23-14) dropped Thursday night's series opener to the Oklahoma City Dodgers (17-20) by a final score of 6-2 at Dell Diamond. LF Delino DeShields drove in both Express runs for his first multi-RBI game since May 23.
Round Rock reliever LHP Sal Mendez (0-1, 21.60) was tagged with the loss, allowing four runs on three hits and two walks while tallying two strikeouts in his 1.2-inning Triple-A debut. Oklahoma City RHP Austin Bibens-Dirkx (4-1, 4.41) earned the win with a 5.0-inning start that featured two runs on four hits and two walks with six punchouts.
The E-Train took the first lead of the contest in the first inning when DeShields launched a leadoff home run to left field to put Round Rock ahead 1-0.
Oklahoma City plated their first two runs in the second when RF Zach Reks hit a homer of his own, bringing 3B Sheldon Neuse home with him. Round Rock tied the contest at 2-2 in the bottom of the frame after base hits from C Yohel Pozo and 2B Charles Leblanc, followed by a Yonny Hernandez hit-by-pitch loaded the bases. DeShields then drew a walk to send Pozo home, leveling the contest.
The Dodgers' big inning came in the sixth as Neuse hit a single before DH Matt Davidson and 2B Carlos Asuaje drew back-to-back walks to load the bases. 1B Cristian Santana drove both Neuse and Davidson home with a double, leaving a pair of runners in scoring position. Both Asuaje and Santana later scored thanks to a two-out single from SS Elliot Soto for the ultimate final score of 6-2.
Round Rock loaded the bases for the second frame of the night with two outs in the ninth thanks to walks from Pozo and CF Leody Taveras and a two-out DeShields single, but Oklahoma City reliever RHP Kevin Quackenbush retired RF Elier Hernandez to end the game.
The two teams face off in game two on Friday night at Dell Diamond. Express RHP Tyson Miller (0-0, 6.00) is scheduled take the mound against Dodgers RHP Aaron Wilkerson (3-3, 3.97) with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m.
Single game tickets as well as full season and mini season membership plans are on sale now. For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A West League message board...
Triple-A West League Stories from June 18, 2021
- Raleigh Homers, Extends Hitting Streak as Rainiers Outslug Aviators for Fifth Straight Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Rainiers Game Notes - June 18, 2021 at Las Vegas Aviators (7:05 p.m. PT) - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 18, 2021 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Open Road Trip with Big Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Fireworks Added on August 8, Game Times Changed for September 11-12 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Wilson's Two HRs Not Enough, as Aviators Fall 11-7 to Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats drop 5th straight in return home - Sacramento River Cats
- Eight-Run Eighth Inning Caps Strong Start by Gilbert - Reno Aces
- Aces Potent Offense Downs Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Lead Vanishes in Return Home - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Skeeters Come Back for 8-5 Win in El Paso Opener - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Big Inning Dooms Round Rock in 6-2 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Two-Out Runs in Sixth Boost OKC - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Dodgers Tie Series at Two with 7-1 Victory over Express
- Round Rock Records 6-3 Win against Oklahoma City
- Dodgers Post 8-3 Victory in Game Two over the Express
- Round Rock RHPs Drew Anderson and Jharel Cotton Promoted to Texas
- Round Rock Downs Oklahoma City 3-1 in Thursday's Series Opener