Beltre's Game Winner Tops off Marathon Patriots Win
Bridgewater, New Jersey - A Michael Beltre 12th-inning RBI double helped the Somerset Patriots (66-45) earn a 6-5 win over the Hartford Yard Goats (37-72) in the team's longest game (innings) of the season Friday night.
The two teams were knotted in a 5-5 score heading to the 12th inning. Patriots' relief pitcher Kevin Gadea (W, 2-1) worked a scoreless top of the 12th to set the stage where one run would win it for Somerset. Beltre came to the plate with two on and one away in the bottom of the inning, and sliced the walk-off double to left-center field, sending the Patriots players into a frenzy.
Somerset had led 4-1 through the first seven innings of the game. Jesus Bastidas (2) opened the scoring with a solo home run in the third inning. The Patriots added a run in the fifth on a Yard Goats error before back-to-back RBI singles from Brandon Lockridge and Thomas Milone in the seventh increased the team's lead.
Hartford tied the game with three runs in the eighth. The first scored on a throwing error from Somerset reliever Michael Gomez. Two more were plated later in the frame on a two-run single from Jose Gomez.
The game remained tied at four until the Yard Goats broke through in the 11th on a Jameson Hannah sacrifice fly. But the Patriots tied it in the next half inning when Bastidas was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Beltre would then win it the next inning.
Nick Kennedy (L, 1-3) yielded the one unearned run over one-third of an inning of relief to take the loss.
With the win, the Patriots remain 0.5 games up on the Bowie Baysox and 3.0 games up on the Portland Sea Dogs for the final playoff spot in the Double-A Northeast League with nine games to play in the regular season.
The Patriots and Yard Goats continue their six-game series with a single-admission doubleheader tomorrow. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 4:00 pm.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots celebrate Michael Beltre's walk-off hit
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 10, 2021
- Beltre's Game Winner Tops off Marathon Patriots Win - Somerset Patriots
- Coco Montes Collects Three Hits and RBI But Goats Fall in 12 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Squirrels' Big Flies Bury Ducks, 15-5 - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Score Five in Tenth in Wild Win - Bowie Baysox
- Squirrels Swat Four Homers in 15-5 Win over 'Ducks - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Senators Toppled in 10th - Harrisburg Senators
- Late Touchdown Lifts SeaWolves over Curve Under Friday Night Lights - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Emerge Victorious on Messy Night in Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- Murphy, Potts Lead Alces de Maine to 3-1 Win - Portland Sea Dogs
- September 10, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Return to UPMC Park for Final Homestand of the 2021 Season - Erie SeaWolves
- Get Orbit Bobblehead and Comic Book in Exclusive VIP Picnic September 18 at Canal Park - Akron RubberDucks
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Erie SeaWolves
- RubberDucks Announce 2022 Game Dates; Home Opener Is Tuesday, April 12 - Akron RubberDucks
- Ducks' Bats Rally Past Squirrels, 11-7 - Akron RubberDucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots to Receive Somerset County Business Partnership's Economic Vitality Award
- Somerset Patriots Tropical Storm Ida Relief Fundraising Reaches $35,000
- Patriots INF Oswaldo Cabrera Named Double-A Northeast MVP
- Patriots RHP Hayden Wesneski Named Double-A Northeast League Pitcher of the Month for September
- Patriots Season Ends in Crushing 5-4 Loss