Beer's strong afternoon leads Reno past Albuquerque
RENO, Nev. - The Reno Aces won their seventh-straight game today, topping the Albuquerque Isotopes 7-5 behind a strong performance from Seth Beer. Beer finished the afternoon three for four with two doubles and a homer.
Beer crushed a solo homer in the bottom of the first to make it a 1-0 Aces lead, the ninth-straight game with Reno scoring first. The long ball was Beer's fifth of the season, and 23rd RBI.
Albuquerque countered in the top of the second, scoring three to take the lead.
In the bottom of the third, Reno would pick up a run to make it a 3-2 game. Beer doubled, and reached home on an RBI single from Jamie Ritchie.
The Isotopes scored runs in the fourth and sixth, making it a 5-2 Albuquerque advantage.
Reno struck again in the bottom of the seventh, putting a five-spot on the board to take the lead. After Nick Heath led off the inning with a triple, Beer roped his Triple-A West-leading 19th double down the right field line to bring the Aces to within two, 5-3. In the next at bat, Drew Ellis walked and was promptly scored, along with Beer, on a double by Jamie Ritchie to tie it up at five.
A Matt Lipka double landed him on third after the throw went to the plate, too late to stop Ritchie from scoring. A Juniel Querecuto sacrifice fly made it 7-5, which would prove to be the final scoreline.
Miguel Aguilar earned his third save of the season, allowing just one hit in an otherwise perfect ninth inning. The save capped a strong performance by the bullpen, pitching three combined shutout innings with just three hits allowed.
The Aces will be back tomorrow looking to secure the six-game series against the Isotopes. First pitch is set for 1:05 p.m. PT from Greater Nevada Field. Tickets are on sale at RenoAces.com, or by texting TIXX to 21003. The radio call of the game will also be broadcast on KPLY 630AM locally, as well as online at RenoAces.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A West League message board...
Triple-A West League Stories from June 20, 2021
- Dodgers' Eighth-Inning Rally Derails E-Train on Sunday Night - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers Break Tie with Five in the Eighth to Top Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Father's Day victory features fourth homer in seven games for Davis - Sacramento River Cats
- Beer's strong afternoon leads Reno past Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Gray Solid in Rehab Outing Despite Albuquerque Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aviators Smack Three HRs in 14-3 Blowout of Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 20, 2021 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Notes - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Rainiers Game Notes - June 20, 2021 at Las Vegas Aviators (12:05 p.m. PT) - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Pitching Shuts Down Sacramento - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators' Late-Game Rally Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Offense held to just four hits in loss to Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Hilliards's Two Homers Aren'T Enough - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.