Beachy's Brilliance, Deibinson's Dinger Lead Ducks Past Rockers
(Central Islip, N.Y.) - The Long Island Ducks defeated the High Point Rockers 3-2 on Friday night in the opener of a three-game series at Bethpage Ballpark.
Deibinson Romero launched a two-out, three-run home run to left field in the first inning off Rockers starter Matt Sergey to put the Ducks on top early. It stayed that way until the top of the eighth inning when a two-run home run to right field by Stephen Cardullo trimmed Long Island's lead to 3-2. However, High Point could not pull even.
Ducks starter Brandon Beachy (6-0) earned the win, tossing six scoreless innings, allowing two hits and three walks while striking out six. Sergey (3-4) took the loss, yielding three runs on four hits and four walks over six innings with nine strikeouts. Cody Mincey picked up his fifth save of the season by retiring all four batters he faced, striking out two.
L.J. Mazzilli led the Flock offensively with two hits and a run.
The Ducks and Rockers continue their three-game set on Saturday night. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). Following the game, all fans in attendance will be treated to the final Fireworks Spectacular of the regular season, presented by Suffolk County AME. In addition, Ducks staff members will be handing out coupons for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more at Dick's Sporting Goods to fans as they exit the ballpark following the game. Left-hander Brian Matusz (2-2, 3.32) takes the mound for the Ducks against Rockers righty Joe Van Meter (9-6, 2.33).
Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com, Facebook Live and the Ducks official YouTube channel.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
Long Island Ducks pitcher Brandon Beachy
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 20, 2019
- Late Surge Leads Bees Past Patriots - Somerset Patriots
- Beachy's Brilliance, Deibinson's Dinger Lead Ducks Past Rockers - Long Island Ducks
- Reed Crosses 400 Strikeouts In Loss - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Skeeters to Conduct Testing for All-Drone Broadcast on Saturday, September 21 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Bees Keep Rockers Champagne On Ice For At Least One More Night - New Britain Bees
- Revs Drop Pitchers' Duel to Ducks in Series Finale - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- Long Island Ducks Are 2019 Atlantic League Champions
- Romero and Mazzilli Help Flock Force Decisive Game Five
- Ducks Rally Big Late But Fall Just Short in Game Three
- Skeeters Stymie Ducks to Even Championship Series at One
- Five-Run First Leads Flock to Game One Win