BayHawks Can't Overcome Slow First Half, Fall to 87ers
Erie, Pennsylvania - A late push from the BayHawks came up short this evening as Erie fell 107-113 to the Delaware 87ers.
Delaware jumped out to an early lead and didn't trail again from there. In the early going, Ty Greene knocked down two threes in the first ten minutes and set the pace for the rest of the game. Delaware had an efficient quarter on the offensive end, hitting 56% of their shots. Jordan McRae had nine points in the quarter for the Sevens.
After falling behind by 20 in the opening minutes of the second, Erie closed the gap to eight midway through the quarter. Delaware answered with a 6-0 run to close the half capped by a Russ Smith jumper as time expired. Erie shot only 39% with 12 turnovers in the half compared to Delaware's 55% and six turnovers.
The third quarter held even play with both teams scoring 24 points. Delaware's hot shooting fell to 36% while Erie improved to 52%. Devyn Marble started to heat up at the end of third, hitting two three-pointers.
The BayHawks made a late push in the final minutes behind 15 points from Keith Appling in the quarter but it came too little, too late. Appling had an And-1 31 seconds to pull the score to 103-108 but Jordan McRae answered with an And-1 of his own to seal the game.
McRae had a team-high 25 points to go with five assists, and six rebounds. Christian Wood tallied a double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds. In his second game with the 87ers, Smith had 24 points on eight of 17 shooting.
Appling had a game-high 30 points with nine assists. Marble posted 23 points and four assists. Melvin Ejim nearly posted a double-double with 10 points and nine assists.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 16, 2016
- Magette's Triple-Double Lifts D-Fenders Past Spurs - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Charge Cut Red Claws' Power - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Nab Sixth Straight Win - Canton Charge
- BayHawks Can't Overcome Slow First Half, Fall to 87ers - Erie BayHawks
- Seven different Raptors 905 players score in double digits in win - Raptors 905
- Westchester's Late Attack Falls Short in Loss to Raptors 905 - Westchester Knicks
- Bucks Assign Damien Inglis to Westchester Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Bakersfield Jam Complete Two Trades with Delaware 87ers - Bakersfield Jam
- Jazz Sign JJ O'Brien to 10-Day Contract - Idaho Stampede
- Heat Recall Stokes from Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Iowa Energy Acquire Michael Frazier from Los Angeles - Iowa Wolves
- Bulls Recall Felício from Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Celtics Assign R.J. Hunter to the Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Teague's Buzzer-Beater Lifts OKC Blue past Bakersfield - Oklahoma City Blue
- Bakersfield's Fourth Quarter Rally Falls Short - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Erie BayHawks Stories
- Erie BayHawks Announce 2019-20 Single Game Tickets and Promotional Schedule
- Erie BayHawks Announce Junior Dance Team Auditions
- Erie BayHawks Announce Two New Ticket Initiatives for 2019-20 Season
- BayHawks Announce Six Select Dates for the 2019-20 Season
- Pelicans Sign Zylan Cheatham and Josh Gray to Two-Way Contracts