Bats, tempers hot for RailRiders and Chiefs Sunday Night
SYRACUSE, NY - A Mike Ford home run in the 7th inning put the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders ahead for good over the Syracuse Mets- transitioning into a benches-clearing situation one batter later- with an 11-6 win by SWB.
The RailRiders won a fifth consecutive game Sunday night, and have won all six games they have played at NBT Bank Stadium this season. A frustrated Syracuse Mets dropped a seventh straight game and saw their reliever Arquimedes Caminero ejected on just the sixth pitch he threw in the top of the 7th inning.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre opened up a 5-0 lead in the 3rd inning on the strength of an early solo home run by Ryan McBroom and a two-out three run homer by Logan Morrison. The Mets responded right back with five runs in the bottom of the inning off RailRiders starting pitcher Drew Hutchison. The game moved tied 6-6 into the 7th inning when Ford had his go-ahead blast, and then the RailRiders plated two runs in both the 8th and 9th innings to make it more comfortable for the bullpen.
Stephen Tarpley picked up the win with 1.1 innings while striking out three, and David Sosebee tossed two scoreless frames for his third save of the year.
With the win, the RailRiders are now a season-best seven games above .500 at 26-19 (.578) and they hold a 1.5 game lead over the Lehigh Valley IronPigs for first place in the IL North Division standings.
The RailRiders and Mets are set to conclude their four-game series Sunday at NBT Bank Stadium with a 1:05 p.m first pitch. RHP Raynel Espinal (1-4, 5.64) takes the ball for the RailRiders and goes up against RHP Zach Lee (2-1, 5.89). Pregame coverage with Adam Giardino begins at 12:35 p.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 26, 2019
- Bats, tempers hot for RailRiders and Chiefs Sunday Night - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- PawSox Split Doubleheader with Thrilling Nightcap Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Nine-Run Sixth Powers Knights Past Bulls 12-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Wings Split with PawSox - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Comebacks Fall Short in 11-6 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Sunday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Colon Powers Bats to 7-5 Victory - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Allow Six-Run Inning in Loss to Bats - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs tripped up by Bisons - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indy Races Back into First with Triumph over Columbus - Indianapolis Indians
- Lopez's Grand Slam Leads Stripers Past Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Mets & Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Celebrate the True Meaning of Memorial Day - Syracuse Mets
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (18-27) at Louisville Bats (18-30) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Saturday Marathon Ends in 17-12 Mets Loss to RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Iron Pigs Spoil Larkins' Bison Debut in 8-5 Comeback Victory - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders open early 10-run lead, hold off Mets for fourth straight win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.