Barons Fall to Biscuits in Regular Season Finale
In the 2013 regular season finale, the Birmingham Barons fell to the Montgomery Biscuits by a score of 9-2 in front of 4,388 fans at Regions Field.
After watching the Biscuits score two runs in the top first, the Barons responded with a leadoff single by Micah Johnson and a two-run homer by Cody Puckett, his 15th homer of the season.
However, a five run outburst by the Biscuits in the fourth proved to be too much for the Barons to overcome. The inning was highlighted by RBI doubles from Shawn O'Malley and Cameron Seitzer. All seven runs were scored against starter Myles Jaye (0-1, 17.18), who was making his Double-A debut. Jaye allowed the seven runs on eight hits over 3.2 IP.
The lead would grow to 9-2 in the sixth on a two-run single by Seitzer against reliever Ryan Kussmaul.
Jim Patterson (1-4, 4.17) held the Barons in check for much of the afternoon, scattering five hits and allowing just two runs while striking out six over 6.0 IP.
With the loss, the Barons finished the regular season with a record of 77-63 and 33-37 in the second half while Montgomery finished at 71-69 and 34-36 in the second half.
The Barons finished the season with a home attendance of 396,820, the fourth-highest attendance in Southern League history (since 1964) and the fourth-highest attendance in Barons franchise history (since 1901).
The Barons will have two days off before starting the Southern League playoffs against the Tennessee Smokies on Thursday, September 5th at Regions Field. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 7:05 PM CDT.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 2, 2013
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday, Braves Host Mobile Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Suns Eliminated on Final Day with 6-5 Loss to Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves Clinch Playoff Spot, Face Mobile in Post-Season - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Win 2013 Season Finale - Huntsville Stars
- Wahoos Four-Hit in Rain-Soaked Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts Win Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Fall to Biscuits in Regular Season Finale - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Conclude Regular Season with 4-3 Loss to the Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Drop Season Finale In Huntsville Monday, 4-3 - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Finish 2013 Strong - Montgomery Biscuits
- Game Information and Mariners Minor League Report (Monday, September 2) at Huntsville - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.