Smokies Conclude Regular Season with 4-3 Loss to the Lookouts
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - The Tennessee Smokies (42-27, 76-62) lost their regular season finale 4-3 to the Chattanooga Lookouts (24-45, 59-80) Monday afternoon at AT&T Field in Chattanooga. Tennessee's loss snapped a six game winning streak.
The Lookouts batted around in the bottom of the first inning as the first five batters reached safely. Chattanooga leadoff hitter Miguel Rojas lined a ball just over the sixteen foot high fence in left field to put the home team on top 1-0. With runners at second and third base, Jeremy Moore bounced a single into right field to bring home the game's second run. The next batter, Jon Garcia, put Chattanooga in front 3-0 with a sacrifice fly.
Tennessee put a run on the board in the top of the third inning. John Andreoli and Taylor Davis started the frame with singles. With one out, Matt Szczur lined out to centerfield allowing Andreoli to cross the plate and bring the Smokies within two runs.
Chattanooga responded immediately in the bottom half of the third. A pair of doubles from Brian Cavazos-Galvez and Moore plated a run to extend the advantage back to three runs.
With two outs in the top of the fourth inning, Christian Villanueva hammered his 19th home run of the season over the fence in right field to pull the Smokies within two runs at 4-2.
The Smokies drew within a run in the top of the fifth inning. Taylor Davis doubled with one out and advanced to third on a groundout. An infield single by Szczur allowed the Smokies catcher to score and make it a 4-3 game.
Eric Jokisch (11-13, 3.42) took the loss after allowing four runs (three earned) on eight hits with seven strikeouts in 5.2 innings pitched.
Tennessee will open its best of five game series Thursday night at 8:05 p.m. in Birmingham for game one of the North Division Championship Series.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 2, 2013
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday, Braves Host Mobile Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Suns Eliminated on Final Day with 6-5 Loss to Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves Clinch Playoff Spot, Face Mobile in Post-Season - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Win 2013 Season Finale - Huntsville Stars
- Wahoos Four-Hit in Rain-Soaked Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts Win Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Fall to Biscuits in Regular Season Finale - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Conclude Regular Season with 4-3 Loss to the Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Drop Season Finale In Huntsville Monday, 4-3 - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Finish 2013 Strong - Montgomery Biscuits
- Game Information and Mariners Minor League Report (Monday, September 2) at Huntsville - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.