Lookouts Win Finale
The Chattanooga Lookouts went out a winner in 2013.
Salvaging the final game of their final five-game series, the Lookouts (59-80 overall) scored three runs in the first inning and never trailed en route ot a 4-3 win over the visiting Tennessee Smokies at AT&T Field.
Miguel Rojas led off the Lookouts' first inning with his fifth home run of the season and the club went on to score twice more on a Jeremy Moore single and a Jon Garcia sacrifice fly.
Moore would add an RBI double in the third that proved to be the diffrerence in the game.
With scheduled starter Rob Rasmussen traded to Philadelphia over the weekend, Steve Smith made the season's final start, and was effective in his three innings of work (two hits, one run, four strikeouts). But Garrett Gould (3-5) earned the win by working five innings in back of Smith. He allowed only four hits and struck out six.
Yimi Garcia closed out the win by earning his 16th save in three-up, three-down manner.
The Lookous' Joc Pederson did not play in the final game, leaving him one shy of the Southern League home run lead. Brian Cavazos-Galvez and Moore each finished the game with two hits, inlucind a double.
The Smokies, who move on to the Southern League playoffs, managed only six hits, including Christian Villanueva's 19th home run.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 2, 2013
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday, Braves Host Mobile Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Suns Eliminated on Final Day with 6-5 Loss to Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves Clinch Playoff Spot, Face Mobile in Post-Season - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Win 2013 Season Finale - Huntsville Stars
- Wahoos Four-Hit in Rain-Soaked Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts Win Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Fall to Biscuits in Regular Season Finale - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Conclude Regular Season with 4-3 Loss to the Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Drop Season Finale In Huntsville Monday, 4-3 - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Finish 2013 Strong - Montgomery Biscuits
- Game Information and Mariners Minor League Report (Monday, September 2) at Huntsville - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chattanooga Lookouts Stories
- Extra Inning No Friend
- Back-To-Back Nights with Fireworks on August 24th and 25th
- Looks Fall Short in Pearl
- Late HR Dooms Lookouts in 4-3 Defeat
- Top of the Order Belts Lookouts to 8-2 Win