Wahoos Four-Hit in Rain-Soaked Finale
The Mobile BayBears posted three runs in the first inning and coasted the rest of the way to a 10-1 victory over the Pensacola Blue Wahoos in the final game of the season on Monday afternoon at Hank Aaron Stadium. Pensacola finished the season with a record of 59-79, including a 34-35 mark in the second half.
Reds top pitching prospect Robert Stephenson got the start for Pensacola, but didn't make it past the first. Ender Inciarte led off the game with a solo homer off Stephenson (L, 0-2), who got two quick outs before allowing four straight to reach, culminating in a Mike Freeman two-run single to make it 3-0. Stephenson allowed three runs on three hits with a strikeout and two walks in his final start of the year.
The rains hit in the last of the third inning with Chris Manno on the mound, causing a brief delay before pinch-hitter Keon Broxton smoked a two-run single through the left side to make it 5-0. The rains hit even harder and forced a delay of an hour and 20 minutes.
Mobile doubled its lead in the last of the seventh with a five-run frame against Pat Doyle and Jamie Walczak. Nick Evans provided an RBI single off Doyle to make it 6-0 before a sac fly from Freeman made it 7-0. Broxton provided the exclamation mark with a three-run blast against Walczak to make it 10-0.
Bo Schultz faced the minimum in three innings for Mobile before leaving due to the rain delay. Willy Paredes (W, 3-0) picked up the victory with a scoreless top of the fourth inning.
The Wahoos were able to get on the board in the ninth on a Devin Lohman double scoring Juan Silverio.
The next time the Wahoos hit the field will be April 3, 2014 at home against the Tennessee Smokies. 2014 season ticket information will become available later in the month. Fans can stay connected with the Blue Wahoos throughout the offseason on bluewahoos.com as well as on the team's Facebook and Twitter sites.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 2, 2013
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday, Braves Host Mobile Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Suns Eliminated on Final Day with 6-5 Loss to Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves Clinch Playoff Spot, Face Mobile in Post-Season - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Win 2013 Season Finale - Huntsville Stars
- Wahoos Four-Hit in Rain-Soaked Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts Win Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Fall to Biscuits in Regular Season Finale - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Conclude Regular Season with 4-3 Loss to the Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Drop Season Finale In Huntsville Monday, 4-3 - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Finish 2013 Strong - Montgomery Biscuits
- Game Information and Mariners Minor League Report (Monday, September 2) at Huntsville - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.