Bandits Comeback Bid Falls Just Short in 3-2 Loss
Davenport, IA - The Quad Cities River Bandits fell behind in the early going and had their comeback bid fall just short in a 3-2 loss to the Bowling Green Hot Rods on Saturday night at Modern Woodmen Park. With the Bandits down by a run and two on base in the bottom of the eighth, Alex McKenna's fly ball to deep right was caught against the wall by Jordan Qsar to end the close the door on the River Bandits best chance at shocking the Hot Rods.
Chris Betts, the leading active home run hitter in the Midwest League, staked Bowling Green (19-9, 58-40) to a 2-0 advantage in the top of the first inning with his 16th long ball of the year. The first two Hot Rods hitters of the game reached base against Lupe Chavez, but a double play was turned on a chopper back to the mound to give him a chance to avoid damage. However, a first pitch breaking ball to Betts was turned around and launched over the right field wall to put the Bandits in an early hole.
In the next frame, with two outs and a man on second base, Izzy Wilson lined a triple into the gap in right center. From that point forward, the Bandits pitching staff shut down the Hot Rods offense. Chavez ended up lasting 4.2 innings and allowing three runs on seven hits. Layne Henderson tossed 3.1 scoreless frames out of the bullpen and Devin Conn issued only a one-out walk in the ninth.
Quad Cities (15-12, 58-35) could not solve Bowling Green starter Alan Strong over his 7.0 innings on the mound. The right-hander allowed just three hits and struck out six to keep the Bandits off the board. When the Hot Rods went to the bullpen in the eighth, the bats started to come alive. Trey Dawson ripped a one-out double off of reliever Nathan Witt and scored when Ramiro Rodriguez's fly ball to the warning track in left was dropped by Seaver Whalen. Oscar Campos followed up an Austin Dennis walk with a sharp RBI single through the left side to close within 3-2. The Hot Rods went to the bullpen with the tying run on second and Joel Peguero worked out of the jam by retiring McKenna and Freudis Nova. He also closed out the game in the ninth to earn his ninth save of the season.
Bowling Green collected eight hits in the victory. Ford Proctor and Whalen led the way with two hits each. Campos was the only River Bandits hitter with multiple knocks, going 2-4 with an RBI.
Game two of the set between the teams is set for Sunday evening at 5:15 p.m. The Bandits will have RHP Jose Alberto Rivera (5-3, 4.97) on the hill against Bowling Green RHP Easton McGee (7-2, 3.39). As is the case before every Sunday home game, players will be available on the field for autographs before the game. Following the game, kids will be allowed to run the bases.
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Stung by a Bee - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Stumble in Series Opener with Chiefs - Lake County Captains
- Strong Outstanding in 3-2 Win over Bandits - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lugs Go (Eastbound And) Down in 10th, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Comeback Bid Falls Just Short in 3-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Edwards Homers in 10th For Clinton Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Herrera Homers, Donovan Gets Three Hits as Chiefs Win Again - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Stymied by Fisher, Curlis - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Win 1-0 on Pitching Masterpiece, Warren Home Run - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Come Up Just Short in Series Opener with Cedar Rapids - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Scoreless Relief Pitching Secures 6-4 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps, Wisconsin Washed Away - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Severe Weather and Power Outage Postpones Rattlers on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Tonight's Game Has Been Postponed - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 20 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 96) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers to Give Away Children's Book on Monday - Beloit Snappers
- Timber Rattlers Sweep Cubs in Rain-Shortened 2-1 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Proctor, Whalen Lift Hot Rods to 4-3 Win in Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Beat the Rain and the Cubs to Complete the Sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps Fall in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.