Dragons Win 1-0 on Pitching Masterpiece, Warren Home Run
Geneva, Ill. - Dayton pitchers Andy Fisher and Connor Curlis combined on a one-hit shutout and Cameron Warren hit a home run to account for the only run of the game as the Dragons defeated the Kane County Cougars 1-0 on Saturday night.
The win was the sixth in the last seven games for the Dragons and squared their second half record to 14-14.
Fisher, making his Midwest League debut, was brilliant. The 2019 Big Ten 1st Team All-Conference selection at Illinois tossed five no-hit innings and did not walk a batter. He struck out eight without allowing a run. Two batters reached against Fisher (error, hit batsman).
Curlis replaced Fisher to start the sixth. He allowed a double to the first batter of the inning, the only hit Kane County had in the game. But Curlis got the next three hitters including two on strikeouts to strand the runner at third.
In the seventh, Warren hit a high deep drive to left field. Kane County outfielder Tre Holmes raced back and made a leaping effort to take a home run away from the Dayton batter. Holmes' reaction prompted his teammates, and the fans in Kane County, to believe he had caught the ball and made one of the greatest defensive plays of the season. Warren actually stopped running momentarily, but it eventually became clear that Holmes did not have the ball in his glove, and Warren circled the bases for his first Midwest League home run in just his second game. It gave the Dragons a 1-0 lead.
Curlis allowed only one more base runner, a one-out walk in the seventh, before retiring the final eight batters of the game to earn the win and improve to 3-3. Fisher and Curlis combined to strike out 14 batters while walking only one.
The Dragons finished with five hits. Michael Siani was 2 for 4 with a stolen base to extend his hitting streak to eight straight games.
The Dragons began the day trailing Lansing by one game in the wildcard race. Lansing and Clinton are in extra innings of their Saturday night battle.
Notes: Over the last two games, Dragons pitchers have allowed a combined total of three hits in 18 innings without surrendering an earned run...The game was the first one-hitter of the year for Dragons pitchers.
Up Next: The Dragons (14-14, 42-56) meet Kane County (18-10, 53-44) in the second game of the series in Geneva on Sunday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. (EDT). Eduardo Salazar (4-1, 4.23) will start for the Dragons against Kane County's Matt Tabor (4-2, 2.31).
The next Dragons home game is Wednesday, July 24 against the Great Lakes Loons at 7:00 p.m. at Fifth Third Field.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Stung by a Bee - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Stumble in Series Opener with Chiefs - Lake County Captains
- Strong Outstanding in 3-2 Win over Bandits - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lugs Go (Eastbound And) Down in 10th, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Comeback Bid Falls Just Short in 3-2 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Edwards Homers in 10th For Clinton Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Herrera Homers, Donovan Gets Three Hits as Chiefs Win Again - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Stymied by Fisher, Curlis - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Win 1-0 on Pitching Masterpiece, Warren Home Run - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Come Up Just Short in Series Opener with Cedar Rapids - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Scoreless Relief Pitching Secures 6-4 Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps, Wisconsin Washed Away - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Severe Weather and Power Outage Postpones Rattlers on Saturday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Tonight's Game Has Been Postponed - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 20 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 96) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers to Give Away Children's Book on Monday - Beloit Snappers
- Timber Rattlers Sweep Cubs in Rain-Shortened 2-1 Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Proctor, Whalen Lift Hot Rods to 4-3 Win in Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers Beat the Rain and the Cubs to Complete the Sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps Fall in Extras - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Collect Hits in Every Inning, Top Lansing 7-2 to Split Series
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 21-23
- Dragons Host Dayton Area Police Night at Fifth Third Field on August 22
- Dragons to Recognize Dayton Power and Light as "Community All-Star"
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday