Aviators Walk off Grizzlies, 5-4
Loves Park, ILLINOIS - The Rockford Aviators defeated the Gateway Grizzlies in spectacular fashion Wednesday, winning in 10 innings on a walkoff single by Justin Fox. The win was the Aviators' second in a row vs. the Grizzlies and their third overall.
The home squad was led by Payton Baskette, who enjoyed a solid day on the mound. The lefthander gave up just 1 run over 6 innings and got a couple of runs in support in the 4th. Joshua Davis and Michael Hur helped bring in runs in that inning to establish a 2-0 lead.
Baskette exited with a 2-1 advantage at his back, but the Grizz got 2 off his relief man Cory LaPeze to make it a 3-2 game. Davis stepped up in the 8th, pounding a double to right center with 2 strikes and 2 outs that scored Dusty Robinson and evened the game at 3.
The game went into the 10th still knotted at 3. Blake Brown drew a walk from Aviator hurler Matt Frahm and came around to score on a double by Ben Waldrip that tipped the scale back in favor of the Grizzlies.
The Aviators would have the last laugh though. Danny Stienstra and Cody Lenahan were able to reach with a walk and a single against Scott Harkin, who then exited the game. His relief man Byron Minnich committed an error to allow Davis on. He then went to 2 strikes with Fox, who stroked one to left center to win the game for the Aviators, 5-4. Stienstra and Lenahan scored the final runs for the Aviators.
It was the 2nd extra inning win of the year for the Aviators. Frahm picked up his 1st win of the year, while Harkin took the loss.
The Aves finish their series with the Grizzlies tomorrow evening at Aviators Stadium. Tony Rizzotti will take the hill for the Aviators. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 pm. Draft beers will be $1 at Aviator concession stands. For tickets, call 815-885-BALL or email [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 8, 2015
- Otters Win Odd Game - Florence Y'alls
- ThunderBolts Fall to Washington 3-2 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Washington Evens Windy City Series, Wins 3-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Teasley Shuts Down Traverse City, Miners Tied for First - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Come Back to Win Unusual Rain Delayed Game - Evansville Otters
- Frisbie Selected to Lead West Division All-Stars - Rockford Aviators
- Grizzlies Unable to Shut Door in Extra Innings at Rockford - Gateway Grizzlies
- Aviators Walk off Grizzlies, 5-4 - Rockford Aviators
- Lake Erie Crushers Rained Out - Lake Erie Crushers
- July 8 Florence Freedom Double Header Game Notes - Florence Y'alls
- Slammers Drop Day Game to Greys 10-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Rascals Lose Opener to Crushers - River City Rascals
- Normal CornBelters Game Today - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers and Belters Washed Out - Schaumburg Boomers
- Normal CornBelters Rained out on July 8 - Normal CornBelters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.