Aviators Suffer Sloppy Defeat to Diablos
Coastal Bend's first road outing of the season was a rocky one. The Aviators, who've played solid defense behind their pitchers to this point, committed 4 errors in a 6-2 loss at El Paso. Trailing 1-0 in the 6th inning, an error by starting pitcher Bryan Heaston put runners at second and third, setting the table for Diablo outfielder Jorge Alvarez's 2-RBI single which widened the margin to 3-0. An error on third baseman J.D. Foust, a walk to El Paso second baseman Evan Conley, and a single by #9 hitter Jordan Belcher, and the bases were loaded in the 7th. Outfielder Kory Drew hit a fly ball that fell in front of right fielder Phillip Grau, pushing the Diablos lead to 4-0. With the bases still loaded, Alvarez then stroked his second 2-RBI single of the game, putting El Paso comfortably ahead 6-0.
Diablos starter Josh Neitz made amends for his poor start last week in Robstown when he went only 2 1/3 innings and surrendered 5 runs. On Thursday he went 8 full innings, allowing 6 hits and 2 runs. Aviators starter Bryan Heaston went 6 and 1/3 and with the loss falls to 0-1 and the season. With the victory El Paso improves their record to 5-2. The Aviators drop to 4-4. Game two of the series is tomorrow night at 8:05 pm, and can be heard locally on KOPY 1070 AM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 17, 2007
- Aviators Suffer Sloppy Defeat to Diablos - Coastal Bend Aviators
- American Association Recap - AA
- Canaries Come From Behind In 8-6 Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Put Together Complete Game in 11-0 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Diablos win third straight, defeat Coastal Bend 6-2 - El Paso Diablos
- Sports Defeat Pensacola 6-1 - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Saints GM Honored as Forty Under Forty Award Winner - St. Paul Saints
- High Schoolers Plan Promotions For May 24 - Sioux Falls Canaries
- X's Open 15th Season At Home Tonight - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.