Aviators Get Ahead Early, Top Blacksnakes 6-5
June 5th - St. Joseph, MO
Pedro Flores pitched six strong innings allowing just one earned run, and improved to 2-2 on the season as the Coastal Bend Aviators defeated the St. Joe Blacksnakes 6-5. A 4-run top of the fourth was the difference in the ballgame as Coastal Bend sent eight men to the plate, collecting 3 hits and 2 base on balls off Blacksnakes starter David Glick to break open a 1-1 tie. With a makeshift lineup in the game due to injuries to two everyday players, it was pitcher Derrick Van Dusen's 2-RBI double that scored Grant Richardson and Steve Ketter to push the Aviators lead to 5-1. Van Dusen assumed the role of designated hitter when it was determined that 1B/DH Bryon Smith could not go due to a groin injury and 3B J.D. Foust would sit out as well. Foust will be checked out by a physician today to determine if he has a problem with his Achilles tendon that stems from a play in Monday night's ballgame versus St Joe.
Glick went just 3.1 innings in surrendering a total of 5 runs, of which 3 were earned. He took the loss (0-4) and was replaced by Dustin Bolton who allowed just 1 run on 3 hits in 5.2 innings. Bolton's work allowed the Blacksnakes to stay within shouting distance until the bottom of the ninth when they staged a two out rally against Aviators closer Tom Atlee. A 2-run HR by St Joe leftfielderPaul Weichard pulled the Blacksnakes to within a run, but Atlee struck out Dustin Yount to end the game.
With the victory , the Aviators avenged a 6-5 loss to the Blacksnakes in the previous night's contest. Coastal Bend's record now stands at 9-15. St Joe falls to 6-19. The teams play game 3 of a 4 game set Wednesday at 7:05pm. The game can be heard locally on KOPY 1070 AM or online.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 6, 2007
- Aviators Soar Past St. Joe, 8-5 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- American Association Recap - AA
- Sports Win Second Straight Over El Paso, 6-5 - El Paso Diablos
- Sports Defeat El Paso in 11 Innings - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Canaries Fall to Explorers, 9-2 - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Lose to Saltdogs, 3-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Aviators Get Ahead Early, Top Blacksnakes 6-5 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Pelicans Sign Steady Hitter and Infielder - Pensacola Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.