Austin Tops Idaho Stampede 103-89
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Orlando Johnson posted a team-high 21 points followed by teammate Nick Johnson with 18 points and the Austin Spurs came out on top 103-89 at Cedar Park Center Sunday afternoon against Idaho (14-26).
Austin took an early lead (14-5) in the first quarter, but Idaho used a 16-5 run to take their first lead of the game with three minutes left (23-22). Idaho maintained their lead the rest of the first, ending the quarter at 26-24. Orlando Johnson led Austin in scoring with seven points and Corey Hawkins led Idaho with 11 points.
Austin fought back in the second, regaining the lead with four minutes left, 44-43, but Idaho responded with a two-point basket and free-throw by Jeremy Williams to reclaim the lead, 46-44. Keifer Sykes made a fast-break basket to tie the score at 46 and hit a 3-pointer to give Austin the lead at the half, 51-50.
Idaho controlled the start of the third going on an 8-2 run in the first three minutes to take the lead 58-53, but Austin responded with a 10-2 run of their own over the next four minutes to regain the lead 63-60 with six minutes left. The third saw 10 lead changes with Austin leading at the end of the quarter, 75-74.
Austin expanded their lead going on a 12-2 run in the first four minutes, making the score 87-76. Austin outscored Idaho 28-15 in the quarter.
JJ O'Brien led Idaho in scoring for the night with 24 points and teammate Hawkins contributed 20 points.
Next up, Austin (23-14) heads to the Dignity Health Event Center to face Bakersfield (18-21) on Tuesday, Mar. 8, at 9 p.m. (CST). For ticket information, visit austinspurs.com or call (512) 236-8333.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2016
- L.A. Clippers Assign C.J. Wilcox to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Atlanta Hawks Assign Edy Tavares to NBA Development League - Austin Spurs
- Red Claws Clamp Westchester Knicks' Skid - Westchester Knicks
- Red Claws Demolish Knicks - Maine Red Claws
- Austin Tops Idaho Stampede 103-89 - Austin Spurs
- Austin Tops Idaho Stampede 103-89 - Idaho Stampede
- Iowa Energy Fall to Delaware - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Waive John Lucas III - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Jimmer Fredette Returns to Westchester Knicks - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Austin Spurs Center Amida Brimah Named to 2018-19 NBA G League All-Defensive Team
- Blue Routs Spurs
- San Antonio Recalls Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs
- Austin Spurs Fall to Sioux Falls Skyforce 116-111
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs