Austin Spurs Acquire Angel Rodriguez from Rio Grande Valley Vipers
AUSTIN, Texas - The Austin Spurs, presented by SWBC, today announced that the team has acquired guard Angel Rodriguez from the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in exchange for the returning player rights to Josh Huestis.
Rodriguez (5-11, 180) was averaging 16 points, 4.3 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 2.4 steals in 32 minutes per game this season with the Vipers. The Puerto Rico native earned an NBA G League championship with Rio Grande Valley last season. Prior to the G League, Rodriguez played internationally with Vaqueros de BayamÃ³n in Puerto Rico (2018), Maccabi Haifa Basketball Club in Israel (2017-18) and Cholet Basket in France (2016-17).
While playing collegiately at the University of Miami (2014-16) and Kansas State (2011-13), Rodriguez averaged 11.1 points, 2.4 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.6 steals in 27 minutes per game. He was recognized with Second Team All-Big 12 and Big 12 All-Defensive Team honors his sophomore season (2013) and Third Team All-ACC honors his senior season (2016). As a senior, he averaged 12.6 points, 2.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.7 steals in 30 minutes per game.
Rodriguez will wear No. 13 when the Austin Spurs return home on Jan. 3 to take on the Greensboro Swarm at 7:30 p.m. at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park. For tickets or the full season schedule, visit austinspurs.com or call (512) 236-8333.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 31, 2019
- South Bay Counts up the Points in Final Countdown of 2019 - South Bay Lakers
- Skyforce Comeback Falls Short in 99-92 Loss to Blue - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Oklahoma City Holds on at Sioux Falls - Oklahoma City Blue
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires Guard Brandon Randolph - Wisconsin Herd
- Hustle Enter 2020 on High Note with Victory over Vipers - Memphis Hustle
- Boykin's 29-Points Not Enough for Vipers in Road Loss to Memphis - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Edwards, Brown Lead Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Austin Spurs Acquire Angel Rodriguez from Rio Grande Valley Vipers - Austin Spurs
- Vipers Make Roster Moves - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Atlanta Hawks Name Landry Fields as Assistant General Manager
- Texas Pro Sports Teams and Civic Organizations Unite with #TexasTeamUp Campaign to Encourage Voter Turnout in the Lone Star State
- Virtual Auditions for 2020-21 Spurs Hype Squad Begin Today with Open Submission Round
- Spurs Sports Academy to Host Virtual Basketball Camps for Young Athletes Starting July 13
- Grizzlies Add Assistant Coach