Austin FC Wins 1-0 away at Minnesota United FC
St. Paul, Minn. - Austin FC recorded their second-straight win on Saturday night, beating Minnesota United FC 1-0 at Allianz Field. Diego Fagundez scored the game-winner off a pinpoint cross from Jared Stroud in the 17th minute to give ATXFC the three (3) points.
Austin made a quick start, finding the goal in the 17th minute through Fagundez from quality buildup play, coming from Danny Hoesen holding up the ball and playing Jared Stroud down the right wing. Stroud crossed to Fagundez on the far post, and the midfielder finished past Dayne St. Clair for his second goal in as many games.
In the dying minutes of the match Rodney Redes, who entered in the 64th minute for his Paraguayan compatriot Cecilio Domínguez, nearly made it two (2) when his shot hit the post.
Austin FC will play four (4) more matches on the road before returning to Q2 Stadium for the Club's inaugural home opener against the San Jose Earthquakes on June 19. Next up, Austin will travel to Kansas City to play Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park on Sunday, May 9 at 6:30pm CDT. The match against Sporting KC will be broadcast nationally on FS1 and on radio locally on ALT 97.5 FM in English and TUDN Radio Austin (104.3-HD2, KLQB) in Spanish.
Josh Wolff on Austin FC's first clean sheet: "It's good and that's what I said to these guys after the game. What I'm most proud of is the ability to grind. It's always tough, we know we got [seven-straight road] games but I don't really spend a ton of time talking about being on the road. These are games we have to play and they happen to be on the road and we're learning more and more about each other every day but we still want to go play the way we play."
Josh Wolff on if he's surprised by Jared Stroud's playmaking: "Not at all. When I looked at Jared, those were some of the few things that really stood out. One is his ability to run and stretch the line, obviously he comes from a pressing culture so his pressing is really good. His ability to serve balls, whip balls in early behind the line was really good when we reviewed his footage from the Red Bulls... He's a machine, he works tirelessly. That's infectious around the entire field and it certainly helps us in a lot of ways, both offensively and defensively."
Austin FC Captain Alex Ring on how early wins help build the culture: "It builds confidence [and] shows that we're doing things right. Picking up results and doing it mostly in the style we want to do it. That's credit to the team, to the staff. We've been working really hard in the offseason but you never really know until the season starts."
Brad Stuver recorded Austin FC's first-ever clean sheet.
ATX (1-0) Diego Fagundez, 17th minute (assisted by Jared Stroud, Danny Hoesen)
MIN - Osvaldo Alonso (caution) 41'
MIN - Michael Boxall (caution) 60'
ATX - Jhohan Romaña (caution) 74'
ATX - Sebastian Berhalter (caution) 81'
Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff digital press conference
Austin FC Midfielder Alex Ring digital press conference
Austin FC at Minnesota United FC | Allianz Field (St. Paul, MN) | May 1, 2021
Austin FC: Brad Stuver, Jhohan Romaña, Nick Lima, Å1/2an Kolmanič, Matt Besler, Diego Fagundez (64' Daniel Pereira), Tomás Pochettino (78' Sebastian Berhalter), Alex Ring ©, Jared Stroud (82' Hector Jimenez), Cecilio Domínguez (64' Rodney Redes), Danny Hoesen (63' Jon Gallagher)
Substitutes not used: Aedan Stanley, Julio Cascante, Kekuta Manneh, Andrew Tarbell
Head Coach: Josh Wolff
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 2
Minnesota United FC: Dayne St. Clair, Michael Boxall, Jukka Raitala, Chase Gasper, Romain Métanire, Emanuel Reynoso (58' Justin McMaster), Ethan Finlay (81' Patrick Weah), Hassani Dotson, Osvaldo Alonso © (67' Jan Gregus), Wil Trapp, Ramón Ábila (58' Foster Langsdorf)
Substitutes not used: Tyler Miller, Brent Kallman, D.J. Taylor, Juan Agudelo, Aziel Jackson
Head Coach: Adrian Heath
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 3
Referee: Ramy Touchan
Assistant Referee 1: Claudiu Badea
Assistant Referee 2: Jeffrey Swartzel
Fourth Official: Fotis Bazakos
Weather: Sunny, 86
Statistical source: MLSsoccer.com / Opta
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 1, 2021
- Orlando City SC Drops FC Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Lose 1-0 to Austin FC - Minnesota United FC
- Austin FC Wins 1-0 away at Minnesota United FC - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Downs Portland Timbers 4-1 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Notes & Quotes: Philadelphia Union 0 - 2 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Timbers Fall 4-1 on the Road to FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Tesho Akindele Scores Fastest Goal in Club History in 3-0 Win over FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union Downed by New York City FC 2-0 - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Win Second Straight at Home, 2-1, against Atlanta United FC - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Draw 1-1 with LAFC at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- CF Montréal Earns Tie to Stay Undefeated - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC Ties Houston Dynamo 1-1 in First Road Match of Season - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines: City vs. FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LA Galaxy - May 2, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Topples Sporting Kansas City 3-1 in 2021 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Slips to 3-1 Loss at RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Head Coach Gerhard Struber Earns First Win, Red Bulls Defeat Chicago, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC Drop 2-0 Result on the Road Versus New York Red Bulls - Chicago Fire FC
- Timbers Square off against FC Dallas Tonight at Toyota Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Host D.C. United Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Visit Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday Seeking First Victory - Colorado Rapids
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Inter Miami CF at Nissan StadiumÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Florida to Face CF Montreal - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC to Host Friendly Match vs. Club Tigres UANL on Tuesday, July 13
- Austin FC Earns Point with 1-1 Draw against Sporting Kansas City
- Austin FC Draw away at Seattle Sounders FC
- Austin FC Announces Parking and Mobility Plan for Q2 Stadium
- Austin FC Regular Season Home Match against the Portland Timbers Rescheduled from Saturday, July 3, to Thursday, July 1