Atlanta United Wins 4-0 vs. FC Cincinnati
ATLANTA - Atlanta United put on a dominant performance Wednesday night in a 4-0 win over FC Cincinnati. Luiz Araújo, Josef Martínez and Ezequiel Barco all scored while Alan Franco recorded three assists, making him the first player in club history to do so. Martínez's two goals brought his career MLS regular season goal total to 85 which is the most in a player's first 100 appearances.
Araújo quickly handed Atlanta the lead in the fifth minute with a brilliant display of speed and skill. Franco delivered a pass to the Brazilian near the center circle in Atlanta's half where he was quickly enclosed by three Cincinnati defenders. Araújo turned to his left to find space and was met by Ronald Matarrita, but Atlanta's Designated Player blew by the Cincinnati captain and raced down the right side. Araújo finished the play by squaring his hips towards goal and placing a left-footed shot into the far side of the net for the 1-0 lead. It was Araújo's first goal for the club while Franco was credited with his first assist.
Atlanta doubled its lead in the 40th minute. From a set piece roughly 40 yards from goal, Araújo lofted a ball into the box on the right side for Franco, who one-timed the ball across goal where Martínez nodded home his seventh goal of the year.
Martínez scored his second of the night less than 10 minutes into the second half. Franco intercepted a pass and immediately played the ball to Barco. The Argentine dribbled through the midfield and sent a through ball to Martínez down the left side. The Venezuelan took a few touches before curling a shot to the far corner, leaving Tyton flat-footed for his eighth goal of the season.
Atlanta polished off its strong performance in the 86th minute with a free kick goal from Barco. It was his sixth goal of the year.
Atlanta (8-7-9, 33 points) returns to action Saturday, Sept. 18 when it hosts D.C. United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (3:30 p.m., Univision, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 4, FC Cincinnati 0
Shots: 15-11 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 9-3 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 4-3 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 18-15 Cincinnati
Offside: 3-1 Atlanta
Possession: 61-39 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 89-86 Atlanta
ATL - Luiz Araújo (Alan Franco) 5' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Josef Martínez (Alan Franco, Luiz Araújo) 40' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Josef Martínez (Ezequiel Barco, Alan Franco) 55' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Ezequiel Barco 86' [HIGHLIGHT]
FCC - Brenner (yellow) 39'
FCC - Edgar Castillo (yellow) 45'
FCC - Ronald Matarrita (yellow) 54'
ATL - Mo Adams (yellow) 73'
FCC - Brandon Vazquez (yellow) 79'
FCC - Chris Duvall (yellow) 82'
ATL - Tyler Wolff (yellow) 90+1'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; Alan Franco, Brooks Lennon (Jurgen Damm - 75'), Miles Robinson, George Campbell, Jake Mulraney (George Bello - 66'); Ezequiel Barco, Matheus Rossetto (Mo Adams - 66'), Marcelino Moreno, Luiz Araújo (Erick Torres - 85'); Josef Martínez (Tyler Wolff - 74').
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Machop Chol, Alex De John, Erik López.
FC CINCINNATI SC STARTING LINEUP
Przemyslaw Tyton; Edgar Castillo (Alvaro Barreal - 62'), Gustavo Vallecilla (Geoff Cameron - 73'), Nick Hagglund, Zico Bailey (Chris Duvall - 79'), Ronald Matarrita ©, Allan Cruz, Caleb Stanko, Florian Valot (Luciano Acosta - 62'), Brenner (Calvin Harris - 74'), Brandon Vazquez.
Substitutes not used: Haris Medunjanin, Yuya Kubo, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Ben Lundt.
Drew Fischer (referee), Matthew Nelson (assistant), Ryan Graves (assistant), Ted Unkel (fourth), Alan Kelly (VAR), Nick Uranga (AVAR).
Josef Martínez scored two goals for his seventh and eighth of the year. It was also his 21st multi-goal game in MLS, six of those being hat tricks.
Luiz Araújo scored his first goal for the club.
Alan Franco became the first player in club history to record three assists in one match.
Ezequiel Barco scored his first goal from a direct free kick.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 15, 2021
- Ruan, Robin Jansson Score First MLS Goals as Lions Fall to Montréal - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Wins 4-0 vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Lose 3-0 to D.C. United at Audi Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Orange and Blue drop midweek matchup - FC Cincinnati
- Inter Miami CF Inks Primary Jersey Sponsorship Deal with Leading Crypto Finance Firm XBTOÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- PointsBet Joins Austin FC as Founding Partner, Exclusive to Sports Betting Category - Austin FC
- Earthquakes Host Real Salt Lake Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Adds MLS Pool Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh Ahead of Austin Match - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Waive Goalkeeper Cody Cropper - FC Cincinnati
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- FC Dallas' Match against Houston Dynamo FC on September 18 Moved to 8:30PM CDT - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Match against FC Dallas on September 18 Moved to 8:30 p.m. CDT - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Kicks off "Kick Childhood Cancer" Campaign - Austin FC
- Sounders FC Advances to 2021 Leagues Cup Final with 1-0 Win over Santos Laguna - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.