Chicago Fire FC Lose 3-0 to D.C. United at Audi Field
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Chicago Fire FC (6-13-5, 23 points) fell 3-0 to D.C. United (10-10-4, 34 points) at Audi Field on Wednesday night.
The Fire conceded all three goals in the first half. D.C. United forward Ola Kamara scored a hat trick by converting two penalty kicks and heading in a cross. The Norwegian now sits atop the standings for the 2021 MLS Golden Boot presented by Audi.
Between the two penalties, the Fire's Luka Stojanović came close to pulling Chicago level on two separate scoring opportunities. The first was a clean finish off a cross from Miguel Navarro that just missed the near post, followed by a second close-range effort that was stopped by a Bill Hamid reflex save.
NEXT GAME: Chicago Fire FC will conclude the Club's six-game road trip on Sunday, Sept. 19 against CF Montréal at Saputo Stadium. The match will begin at 12:00 p.m. CT and will be broadcast on WGN-TV, CFFC Live and TUDN 1200AM.
Social: Twitter - @chicagofire, @vamosfire (Hashtags: #CF97 #CFFC #VamosFire) | Instagram - @chicagofire | Facebook
The Fire outshot (13-7), out-passed (432-386) and out-possessed (53-47) D.C. United in the match.
Midfielder Ignacio Aliseda came on as a substitute in the 58th minute and completed 100% of his passes, including seven passes in D.C.'s half of the field. The Young Designated Player appeared in back-to-back games for the first time since the Fire's matches on Aug. 1 and 4.
D.C. United 3:0 Chicago Fire FC
DC - Kamara (14) (Penalty Kick) 9' (WATCH)
DC - Kamara (15) (Penalty Kick) 35' (WATCH)
DC - Kamara (16) (Gressel 7) 44' (WATCH)
CHI - Terán (Yellow Card) 7'
CHI - Herbers (Yellow Card) 11'
DC - Pines (Yellow Card) 12'
DC - Gressel (Yellow Card) 53'
Chicago Fire FC: GK Shuttleworth, D Terán, D Omsberg (Aliseda 58'), D Bornstein ©, M Espinoza, M M. Navarro, M Herbers (Ivanov 75'), M Medrán, M Giménez (F. Navarro 58'), M Stojanović (Collier 86'), F Offor (Berić 58')
Subs not used: GK G. Slonina, D/M Pineda, D Kappelhof, D Sekulić
D.C. United: GK Hamid, D Najar, D Birnbaum ©, D Pines, M Moreno, M Canouse, M Arriola, M Reyna (Nyeman 79'), M Parades, M Gressel (Alfaro 54'), F Kamara (Abila 54')
Subs not used: GK Kempin, D Brillant, D Mora, M Felipe, M Flores, M Skundrich
Stats Summary: DC / CHI
Shots: 7 / 13
Shots on Goal: 3 / 1
Passing Accuracy: 77.2% / 82.4%
Saves: 1 / 0
Corners: 5 / 6
Fouls: 8 / 11
Offsides: 5 / 3
Possession: 46.9% / 53.1%
Referee: David Gantar
Assistant Referees: Adam Wienckowski, Corey Parker
Fourth Official: Ismail Elfath
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero, Eric Weisbro
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 15, 2021
- Ruan, Robin Jansson Score First MLS Goals as Lions Fall to Montréal - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Wins 4-0 vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Lose 3-0 to D.C. United at Audi Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Orange and Blue drop midweek matchup - FC Cincinnati
- Inter Miami CF Inks Primary Jersey Sponsorship Deal with Leading Crypto Finance Firm XBTOÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- PointsBet Joins Austin FC as Founding Partner, Exclusive to Sports Betting Category - Austin FC
- Earthquakes Host Real Salt Lake Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Adds MLS Pool Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh Ahead of Austin Match - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Waive Goalkeeper Cody Cropper - FC Cincinnati
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- FC Dallas' Match against Houston Dynamo FC on September 18 Moved to 8:30PM CDT - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Match against FC Dallas on September 18 Moved to 8:30 p.m. CDT - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Kicks off "Kick Childhood Cancer" Campaign - Austin FC
- Sounders FC Advances to 2021 Leagues Cup Final with 1-0 Win over Santos Laguna - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC to Face NYCFC at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday
- With 31,308 Fans in Attendance, Chicago Fire FC Defeat Real Salt Lake 1-0 at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Academy Midfielder Sergio Oregel to Homegrown Player Contract
- With More Than 30,000 Tickets Distributed, Chicago Fire FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Tomorrow's Match
- Chicago Fire FC Defeat FC Cincinnati 4-3 in Seven-Goal Thriller at TQL Stadium