Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Real Salt Lake
SANDY, UT - Atlanta United lost 2-1 Friday night on the road at Real Salt Lake in front of 17,214 fans at Rio Tinto Stadium. Playing in its sixth match in 20 days, Atlanta looked to have secured a point in the second half, but Jefferson Savarino's strike in the 94th minute proved to be the game-winner.
Real Salt Lake scored the game's opening goal in the 36th minute, as Sebastián Saucedo received a cross-field pass from Albert Rusnak on the right wing, drifted inside and launched a right-footed strike from outside the box past a diving Brad Guzan.
The home side nearly doubled its lead in the 50th minute, when Rusnak found space at the top of the box and sent a low, deflected drive towards Atlanta's goal. Guzan read the deflection and made a diving save to keep Atlanta within a goal. In the 78th minute, second-half substitute Franco Escobar made a run down the right side, took a first touch past a defender and delivered a cross to Josef Martinez who hit a one-time finish into the net from inside the six-yard box to pull Atlanta United level.
The match looked to be headed for a 1-1 draw, but in stoppage time, Savarino received a pass in the center of the park. He dribbled past one defender and then blasted a strike into the top left corner from 25 yards out past Guzan for the game-winning goal.
Atlanta United (6-5-2, 20 points) returns to action Wednesday, May 29 against Minnesota United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (7 p.m. EST, FOX Sports South, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Real Salt Lake 2, Atlanta United 1
Rio Tinto Stadium
Shots: 15-10 Salt Lake
Shots on Target: 5-3 Salt Lake
Corner kicks: 6-5 Salt Lake
Fouls committed: 14-10 Salt Lake
Clearances: 17-13 Atlanta
Offside: 3-1 Atlanta
Possession: 51-49 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 81-81
RSL - Sebastián Saucedo (Albert Rusnak) 36'
ATL- Josef Martinez (Franco Escobar, Gonzalo Martinez) 78'
RSL - Jefferson Savarino (Everton Luiz) 90+4'
ATL - Michael Parkhurst (yellow) 39'
RSL- Aaron Herrera (yellow) 67'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Brek Shea (Franco Escobar 58'), Leandro González Pirez, Miles Robinson, Michael Parkhurst ©; Eric Remedi, Jeff Larentowicz (Gonzalo MartÃ-nez 58'); Dion Pereira (Justin Meram 78'), Darlington Nagbe, Julian Gressel; Josef Martinez.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Florentin Pogba, Romario Williams, Andrew Carleton
REAL SALT LAKE STARTING LINEUP
Nick Rimando; Aaron Herrera, Justen Glad, Nedum Onuoha, Donny Toia; Nick Besler, Damir Kreilach © (Everton Luiz 72'), Sebastián Saucedo (Brooks Lennon 90'), Albert Rusnak, Jefferson Savarino; Corey Baird (Sam Johnson 79')
Substitutes not used: Andrew Putna, Marcelo Silva, Justin Portillo, Joao Plata,
Jair Marrufo (referee), Jose da Silva (assistant), Jeremy Kieso (assistant), Farhad Dadkho (fourth), Guido Gonzales Jr. (VAR).
Jeff Larentowicz appeared in his 403rd career game, good for third place all-time in league history among field players. He's six behind Chad Marshall for second place.
Jeff Larentowicz started his 379th career game, also good for third place all-time in league history among field players.
Dion Pereira made his first start for Atlanta United.
Franco Escobar recorded his first career MLS regular season assist.
Gonzalo Martinez was credited with his first assist in MLS.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 25, 2019
- Rapids Postgame Notes - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Remains Unbeaten at Allianz Field Defeating Dynamo 1-0 - Minnesota United FC
- Adi makes return to starting lineup; FCC wraps up season series with New York - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Draw New England 1-1 at Gillette Stadium - D.C. United
- Timbers Register 3-1 Win on the Road against Philadelphia Union - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Falls to the Vancouver Whitecaps, 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Ali Adnan scores wonder goal, Venuto tallies winner as 'Caps victorious - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Kacper Przybylko notches team-leading fourth goal; Michee Ngalina makes MLS debut in setback - Philadelphia Union
- Kaku, Fernandez Lead Red Bulls by Cincy - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Fall 1-0 at Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to Six Games in 1-1 Draw Versus New York City FC - Chicago Fire
- Abby Wambach & Sunil Gulati Highlight 2019 National Soccer Hall of Fame Class - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Sporting Kansas City - May 26, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Real Salt Lake - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Falls 4-2 against Los Angeles FC - Montreal Impact
- LAFC Downs Montreal Impact 4-2 on Friday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Topples MLS Cup Champion Atlanta United 2-1 - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.
- Atlanta United Set to Host New England Revolution October 19