Houston Dynamo Fall 1-0 at Minnesota United FC
MINNEAPOLIS, MINN. - The Houston Dynamo dropped a 1-0 decision at Minnesota United FC tonight at Allianz Field, spoiling the club's first visit to Minnesota's new home.
Minnesota took the lead in the 20th minute after Romain Métanire's cross deflected off a Dynamo defender outside the box and looped into the Dynamo goal at the far post.
Minnesota United created the first dangerous chance of the game when forward Darwin Quintero hit the crossbar in the sixth minute. Midfielder Ethan Finlay found Quintero at the near post. The Colombian international lifted the ball to set himself up for a whirling side volley that bounced off the top corner.
Houston responded a minute later when Memo Rodriguez won space outside the penalty area by juking a defender, but his cross was handled by Vito Mannone inside the box. The Dynamo's push for the first goal continued in the 15th minute after forward Mauro Manotas deflected a cross into the path of forward Romell Quioto. Quioto's cross eventually fell to midfielder Tomás Martinez at the edge of the box, but his shot was off target.
Rodriguez found Quioto outside the six-yard box in the 21st minute, but his effort was blocked by a Minnesota defender. The rebound fell to Dynamo captain DaMarcus Beasley, but his shot was also blocked and cleared by the Loons backline.
Rodriguez's cross in the 27th minute was cleared by Minnesota defender Brent Kallman and the rebound fell to midfielder Matías Vera outside the box. Vera created space for a shot, but his effort went over the crossbar into the stands.
Houston's first opportunity of the second half came off a corner kick in the 48th minute from Rodriguez that found Alejandro Fuenmayor at the back post. The defender made contact but his effort just missed the inside of the near post.
A minute later Rodriguez forced a save at the near post, the rebound fell to Manotas but his effort was off target.
Finlay nearly doubled Minnesota's lead in the 55th minute after Miguel Ibarra filtered a ball to the midfielder inside the box. Finlay was pressured by Dynamo defender Kiki Struna and his effort was ultimately off target - going above the crossbar at the far post.
Houston pressed forward over the final 15 minutes in search of an equalizer, earning a pair of corner kicks, but were unable to find the breakthrough.
Dynamo defender DaMarcus Beasley, who earlier this week announced his decision to retire at season's end, made the 200th start in MLS play in his legendary career.
The Dynamo return to BBVA Compass Stadium on Saturday, June 1 to host Sporting Kansas City on Soccer For All Night, presented by Heriberto Ramos. Tickers for that match are available online at HoustonDynamo.com or by phone at 713-276-4625 (GOAL).
Minnesota United (6-4-3; 21 pts.) 1-0 Houston Dynamo (7-3-2; 23 pts.)
MLS Regular Season, Week 13
Saturday, May 25, 2019 - Allianz Field - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Team 1H 2H FT
Minnesota United FC 1 0 1
Houston Dynamo 0 0 0
MIN: Romain Métanire 1 (Jan Gregus 4) 20
Minnesota United FC: Vito Mannone; Romain Métanire, Michael Boxall, Brent Kallman, Hassani Dotson; Jan Gregus, Osvaldo Alonso (C); Ethan Finlay, Darwin Quintero (Rasmus Sch?ller 78), Miguel Ibarra (Ike Opara 83); Angelo Rodríguez (Abu Danladi 65)
Substitutes not used: Dayne St. Clair, Wyatt Omsberg, Mason Toye, Lawrence Olum
Total shots: 15 (Darwin Quintero 4); Shots on goal: 4 (Romain Métainire, Darwin Quintero, Angelo Rodriguez, Rasmus Sch?ller 1); Fouls: 13 (Brett Kallman, Romain Métanire, Angelo Rodriguez 2); Offside: 2 (Ethan Finlay, Angelo Rodriguez 1); Corner kicks: 3 (Jan Gregus 3); Saves: 3 (Vito Mannone 3)
Houston Dynamo: Joe Willis; DaMarcus Beasley (C), Alejandro Fuenmayor (Kevin Garcia 69), Kiki Struna, A.J. DeLaGarza; Matías Vera, Boniek García, Tomás Martínez (Marlon Hairston 75); Memo Rodriguez, Mauro Manotas, Romell Quioto (Tommy McNamara 62)
Substitutes not used: Tyler Deric, Darwin Cerén, Juan David Cabezas, Adam Lundkvist
Total shots: 15 (Tomás Martínez 3); Shots on goal: 3 (Memo Rodriguez 2); Fouls: 13 (Alejandro Fuenmayor, Boniek García 3); Offside: 2 (Mauro Manotas, Memo Rodriguez 1); Corner kicks: 5 (Memo Rodriguez 3); Saves: 3 (Joe Willis 3)
HOU: Alejandro Fuenmayor (caution; foul) 40
HOU: Boniek García (caution; foul) 66
MIN: Romain Métanire (caution; foul) 90
Referee: Joseph Dickerson
Assistant Referee: Corey Rockwell
Assistant Referee: Logan Brown
Fourth Official: Victor Rivas
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
Weather: 66 degrees; Clear skies
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 25, 2019
- Rapids Postgame Notes - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Remains Unbeaten at Allianz Field Defeating Dynamo 1-0 - Minnesota United FC
- Adi makes return to starting lineup; FCC wraps up season series with New York - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Draw New England 1-1 at Gillette Stadium - D.C. United
- Timbers Register 3-1 Win on the Road against Philadelphia Union - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Falls to the Vancouver Whitecaps, 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Ali Adnan scores wonder goal, Venuto tallies winner as 'Caps victorious - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Kacper Przybylko notches team-leading fourth goal; Michee Ngalina makes MLS debut in setback - Philadelphia Union
- Kaku, Fernandez Lead Red Bulls by Cincy - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Fall 1-0 at Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: Chicago Fire 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to Six Games in 1-1 Draw Versus New York City FC - Chicago Fire
- Abby Wambach & Sunil Gulati Highlight 2019 National Soccer Hall of Fame Class - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Sporting Kansas City - May 26, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Real Salt Lake - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Falls 4-2 against Los Angeles FC - Montreal Impact
- LAFC Downs Montreal Impact 4-2 on Friday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Topples MLS Cup Champion Atlanta United 2-1 - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing
- Basketball Superstar James Harden Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash Ownership Group
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall at Atlanta
- Three Points: Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip in Atlanta
- Houston Dynamo Loan Five Players to RGV FC for this Weekend's Match vs Phoenix Rising FC