Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to Toronto FC
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. - Atlanta United fell 1-0 to Toronto FC Sunday night at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field. Brad Guzan made five saves and was minutes away from his sixth clean sheet of the season, but Toronto found a late goal in the 89th minute to come away with the win.
Both sides played to a mostly even first half while Jürgen Damm found success down the right flank for Atlanta, playing in several crosses that helped produce four corners. Toronto was able to take six shots, but Brad Guzan made four comfortable saves to keep the match goalless.
Stephen Glass made a pair of substitutions at halftime bringing on Designated Players Ezequiel Barco and Marcelino Moreno. The pair combined well in Toronto's half, but neither was able to threaten goalkeeper Quentin Westberg.
Erick Torres and Brooks Lennon checked into the match in the 66th minute and nearly connected to give Atlanta the lead two minutes later. Lennon was played down the right side where he juked Auro to create space and sent in a pin-point cross for Torres near the penalty spot. The Mexican forward headed the ball down and aimed for the right corner, but Westberg got down quickly to make a diving save with a strong left hand.
Toronto scored the decisive goal in the 89th minute through Pablo Piatti. Richie Laryea sent in a cross from the right side to the near post where Piatti redirected the ball with a header across goal that bounced off the far post and in.
Atlanta United (5-10-4, 19 points) returns to action Saturday, Oct. 24 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium against D.C. United (4:00 p.m., FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 0, Toronto FC 1
Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field
East Hartford, Connecticut
Shots: 11-6 Toronto
Shots on Target: 6-1 Toronto
Corner kicks: 6-2 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 14-10 Toronto
Clearances: 12-10 Toronto
Offside: 4-0 Atlanta
Possession: 51-49 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 85-85
TOR - Pablo Piatti (Richie Laryea) 89'
TOR - Omar Gonzalez 42' (yellow card)
ATL - Miles Robinson 81' (yellow card)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; George Bello, Anton Walkes, Fernando Meza, Miles Robinson; Mohammed Adams, Eric Remedi (Matheus Rossetto - 75'); Jake Mulraney (Ezequiel Barco - 45'), Emerson Hyndman (Marcelino Moreno - 45'), Jürgen Damm (Brooks Lennon - 66'); Jon Gallagher (Erick Torres - 66').
Substitutes not used: Laurence Wyke, Adam Jahn, Jeff Larentowicz, Alec Kann.
TORONTO FC STARTING LINEUP
Quentin Westberg; Laurent Ciman, Omar GonzÃ¡lez, Auro, Tony Gallacher (Richie Laryea - 45'); Marco Delgado (Liam Fraser - 78'), Jonathan Osorio © (Michael Bradley - 20'); Pablo Piatti, Tsubasa Endoh (Nick DeLeon - 66'), Alejandro Pozuelo; Patrick Mullins (Jayden Nelson - 66').
Substitutes not used: Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Erickson Gallardo, Ralph Priso-Mbongue, Kevin Silva.
Fotis Bazakos, (referee), Corey Parker, (assistant), Gjovalin Bori, (assistant), Nima Saghafi, (fourth), Jorge Gonzalez (VAR).
Miles Robinson made his 50th career MLS Regular Season start. He is the sixth player from the 2017 SuperDraft (81 players picked) to reach 50 MLS starts.
Robinson led the team with 5 clearances
Brad Guzan has made 5+ saves four times this season, including in three of the last four matches.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 18, 2020
- Toronto FC (1) - Atlanta United FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against FC Cincinnati on the Road - D.C. United
- D.C. United Defeats FC Cincinnati 2-1 - FC Cincinnati
- Dynamo Rally Late for 2-2 Draw at Minnesota - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- White's Late-Match Equalizer Secures Point from Orlando City - New York Red Bulls
- Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History with 1-1 Draw at New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Clinches Berth in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Columbus Crew SC
- Notes & Quotes: Columbus Crew SC 3 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Know Your Opponent: New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Storylines: City vs. Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 19-25 - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Take on Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts New York City FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: Philadelphia Union at New England Revolution - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Signs Jackson Conway as Homegrown Player
- Atlanta United to face Club America on Dec. 16 at 8 p.m. EST in 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinal
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery