White's Late-Match Equalizer Secures Point from Orlando City
New Jersey native Brian White scored a late-match equalizer to help the New York Red Bulls (7-8-4, 25 pts) secure a home point against Orlando City SC (8-2-8, 32 pts), 1-1 on Sunday at Red Bull Arena.
New York has extended its unbeaten streak to three matches (1-0-2), which is their longest unbeaten streak since the three-match unbeaten streak (2-0-1) from September 18-29, 2019 as they tallied back-to-back 2-0 wins over Portland and Philadelphia and concluded with a 0-0 draw versus D.C. United.
Despite allowing a penalty kick goal for the second-straight match, New York has not allowed a goal from the run of play in 305 minutes.
As time was winding down in extra-time, Jason Pendant sent a pass across the box to White. White controlled the ball and beat Brian Rowe to the far post for the equalizer.
New York defender Amro Tarek committed a foul inside the penalty box to give Orlando a penalty kick. Nani took the attempt and finished to the left side to give OCSC a 1-0 lead in the 56th minute.
White tallied his second goal of 2020 and 12th career MLS regular-season goal. It is the second time in White's career that he has come off the bench and scored a goal.
Pendant recorded his second career MLS assist in his 13th career start.
Yonkers native Ryan Meara recorded two saves to preserve the 1-1 draw. Meara has allowed just one goal or less in 21 of 32 MLS regular-season matches.
New York grabbed at least a point where they gave up the first goal of the match for the second consecutive game and third time this season. The Red Bulls previously won 4-1 versus Montreal after going down 1-0 early and earned a 1-1 draw at Toronto after giving up the game's first goal on a penalty kick.
Interim Head Coach Bradley Carnell owns a 4-4-2 overall.
New York is 30-19-13 all-time in the month of October. The Red Bulls have scored 98 goals and allowed 78 in the 10th month of the year.
New York will have five days to prepare before traveling to face Chicago Fire FC on Saturday. The five-day stretch will be the longest between games in 2020 since their five-day stretch between Montreal and Orlando City from Sept. 27 to Oct. 3. Saturday's kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. with coverage on MSG and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish.
New York Red Bulls 1, Orlando City SC 1
2020 MLS Regular-Season Match 19
Sunday, October 18, 2020 - 7 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
ORL - Nani 5 (PK) 56'
NY - Brian White 2 (Pendant) 90'+5' - WATCH
ORL - Kamal Miller (yellow, unsporting behavior) 25'
ORL - Junior Urso (yellow, unsporting behavior) 36'
NY - Florian Valot (yellow, unsporting behavior) 90'+1'
ORL - Nani (yellow, time wasting) 90'+4'
New York Red Bulls: Ryan Meara; Kyle Duncan, Amro Tarek, Tim Parker, Jason Pendant, Sean Davis ©, Florian Valot, Marc Rzatkowski (Jared Stroud, 62'), Caden Clark (Omir Fernandez, 62'), Daniel Royer (Samuel Tetteh, 70'), Tom Barlow (Brian White, 70')
Unused Subs: David Jensen, Sean Nealis, Dru Yearwood, Aaron Long, Mandela Egbo,
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 2
Orlando City SC: Brian Rowe; Ruan (Kyle Smith, 75'), Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos, Kamal Miller, Chris Mueller (Rodrigo Schlegel, 78'), Junior Urso, Andres Perea, Joey DeZart (Alex De John, 90'), Nani ©, Daryl Dike
Unused Subs: Michael Halliday, David Loera, Mason Stajduhar, Jordan Bender, Robinho
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 3
Referee: Drew Fischer
Assistant Referees: Cory Richardson, Jose da Silva
4th Official: Marcos de Oliveira
VAR: Robert Sibiga
Attendance: Closed-door match
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 18, 2020
- Toronto FC (1) - Atlanta United FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against FC Cincinnati on the Road - D.C. United
- D.C. United Defeats FC Cincinnati 2-1 - FC Cincinnati
- Dynamo Rally Late for 2-2 Draw at Minnesota - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to Toronto FC - Atlanta United FC
- White's Late-Match Equalizer Secures Point from Orlando City - New York Red Bulls
- Lions Clinch First Playoff Berth in Club History with 1-1 Draw at New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Clinches Berth in Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Columbus Crew SC
- Notes & Quotes: Columbus Crew SC 3 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Know Your Opponent: New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Storylines: City vs. Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 19-25 - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Take on Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts New York City FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: Philadelphia Union at New England Revolution - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions
- Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2
- New York Travels to Columbus for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Matchup
- New York Red Bulls Players and Pediatric Patients Virtually Design Posters to Mark Five-Year Anniversary of Tackle Kids Cancer