Atlanta United and Josef Martinez Agree to Five-Year Extension Through 2023
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed forward Josef Martinez to a five-year contract extension that will last through the 2023 season.
"This means a lot to me because of the affection that the fans have shown me, that the fans show all of the players. It's unique," Martinez said. "They recognize the effort that you give and they know you did everything to win, and I think that's why we love playing here. I have to thank everyone. My teammates, the city, my family and friends, because this is a dream I've always had. I've said before that I don't want to go anywhere because this is my home. You can expect more work, more intensity, because that's who I am. I want to win. I want to do everything for my teammates and for the city."
After scoring 19 goals in 20 matches during his first season with Atlanta United, Martinez followed that up with a record-breaking campaign in 2018 in which he became the first MLS player to win All-Star, regular season and MLS Cup MVP honors in the same season. The Venezuelan striker scored 31 goals to win MLS' Golden Boot, breaking the league's regular season scoring record of 27. He then added four goals during the MLS Cup Playoffs to break the league's combined scoring record with 35 goals. Martinez scored two goals in the second leg of the Eastern Conference semifinals to help Atlanta United advance past New York City FC and added a goal in the Eastern Conference Final against New York Red Bulls. In the 2018 MLS Cup, Martinez scored the opening goal and assisted on the second to earn MVP honors in Atlanta's 2-0 victory over Portland Timbers.
"Josef is an exciting, dynamic player and has proven himself to be one of the best in MLS over the past two seasons," Atlanta United President Darren Eales said. "In addition to breaking the league's scoring record, his work ethic and determination were rewarded by being named League MVP, and most importantly, MLS Cup champion with his teammates. We're excited to secure Josef's long-term future in Atlanta and we look forward to celebrating many more accomplishments together."
Martinez also holds the league's all-time hat trick record with six and single-season mark with three, and in 2018 tied the MLS record for goals in consecutive matches with nine. The 25-year-old is averaging .93 goals per game and 1.04 goals per 90 minutes in MLS regular season play through 54 games, both of which rank first all time in MLS.
"Josef is an outstanding player and I'm very excited to have him committed long-term to the club," head coach Frank de Boer said. "As a manager, he's the type of player you want on your team because he is intensely focused and you can count on him every time he steps on the field. I'm looking forward to working with him and to continuing the great success he's had with Atlanta United."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 16, 2019
- Real Salt Lake Hires Rob Zarkos as Executive VP of Soccer Operations - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Name Juan Jose Romero Goalkeeper Coach - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Begin Preseason Training Next Week - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Midfielder Servando Carrasco - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Signs Defenders Danilo Silva and Dejan Jakovic to New Contracts - Los Angeles FC
- Revolution Acquire $100,000 in General Allocation Money from Portland Timbers - New England Revolution
- Timbers Acquire MLS Rights to Defender Claude Dielna from New England Revolution - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City SC Signs Brazilian Right Back Ruan - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Sign Hamilton and Endoh - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United and Josef Martinez Agree to Five-Year Extension Through 2023 - Atlanta United FC
- Franco Escobar to Miss 6-8 Weeks - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.
- Atlanta United Set to Host New England Revolution October 19
- Atlanta United Win 3-1 against New England Revolution