Atlanta United 2 Wins 3-2 in Season Finale
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Three second half goals powered Atlanta United 2 to a 3-2 win over Richmond Kickers in the team's final match of its inaugural season. Lagos Kunga scored a pair of goals eight minutes apart while Devon Sandoval added a third to close out ATL UTD 2's season on a four-match unbeaten streak.
Despite a dominant first half on both sides of the ball, including 12 shots and nine chances created, Atlanta didn't find the back of the net until the 61st minute. Kunga received the ball on the edge of the 18-yard-box from Jose Hernandez and split a pair of defenders as he ran into the penalty area. The 19-year-old Homegrown bolted toward goal where an onrushing Brandon Barnes came off his line, but Kunga slipped a shot to the far-right post that bounced into the side netting for a 1-0 lead.
Kunga doubled ATL UTD 2's lead and in the 69th minute. Oliver Shannon turned Oscar Umar over at the top of the box where Kunga collected the loose ball. The forward easily beat defender Mallan Roberts to enter the 18 and scored with a chip over Barnes for his fifth goal of the season and his second brace.
Seven minutes later, Sandoval scored his third goal of the year and what proved to be the game-winner. An attempted clearance deep in Richmond's half of the field was blocked by Shannon and fell to Sandoval who was immediately in a one-on-one opportunity with Barnes on the right side of the penalty area. The Richmond goalkeeper came out to attempt a save, but swiped Sandoval's feet just as he attempted to shoot. The 6-foot-1 striker fell to the ground, but swung his left foot at the ball, which rolled into the bottom left corner for a 3-0 Atlanta lead.
Richmond, however, did not go away easily as substitute Giuseppe Gentile scored a pair of goals in the final 10 minutes. Gentile was played in behind ATL UTD 2's backline by Conor Shanosky and finished at the near post on the right side. His second goal came shortly into stoppage time with a glancing header from a Luiz Fernando cross.
Atlanta 3, Richmond 2
Shots: 23-21 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 8-7 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 6-4 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 12-13 Richmond
Saves: 4-5 Richmond
Offside: 1-2 Richmond
Possession: 54-46 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 83-75 Atlanta
ATL - Lagos Kunga (Jose Hernandez) 61'
ATL - Lagos Kunga (Oliver Shannon) 69'
ATL - Devon Sandoval (Oliver Shannon) 76'
RIC - Giuseppe Gentile (Conor Shanosky) 80'
RIC - Giuseppe Gentile (Luiz Fernando) 90+1'
ATL - Oliver Shannon (yellow) 65'
ATLANTA UNITED 2 STARTING LINEUP
Nico Caraux; Shawn Nicklaw, Miles Robinson, AJ Cochran ©; Jose Hernandez, Jon Gallagher, Oliver Shannon, Kevin Kratz; Laurent Kissiedou (Chris Goslin - 68'), Lagos Kunga (Jack Metcalf - 87'), Devon Sandoval (Jackson Conway - 78').
Substitutes not used: Paul Christensen, Alessandro Castro, Kevin Barajas.
RICHMOND KICKERS STARTING LINEUP
Brandon Barnes; Christopher Osei-Wusu (Giuseppe Gentile - 63'), Mallan Roberts, Austin Yearwood, Conor Shanosky; Neil Hlavaty (Yudai Imura - 63'), Oscar Umar; Heveil Cordoves, Luiz Fernando, Raul Gonzalez (Brandon Eaton - 70'); Brian Shriver ©.
Substitutes not used: Mekeil Williams, Trevor Spangenberg, Greg Boehme, Shaun Russell.
Natalie Simon (referee), Benjamin Wooten (assistant), Matthew Osterhouse (assistant), Kyle Whitley (fourth).
Lagos Kunga scored his fourth and fifth goals of the season for his second brace
Devon Sandoval scored his third goal of the season
Jose Hernandez recorded his first assist
Oliver Shannon recorded two assists, his second and third of the season
Kevin Kratz had six chances created, the most of any ATL UTD 2 player in a single match this season
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2018
- S2 Closes out 2018 Campaign with 4-1 Road Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Herrera's Highlight Finish as Independence Fall Short - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Draws RGV FC 1-1 to Conclude 2018 Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Roughnecks Season Ends with Loss to S2 - FC Tulsa
- North Carolina FC Wins Southern Derby Cup, Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive with NC Derby Win - North Carolina FC
- Penn FC Shuts out Toronto FC II - Penn FC
- City Earns Record 19th Win to End 2018 Regular Season with Shutout against Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Atlanta United 2 Wins 3-2 in Season Finale - Atlanta United 2
- Kickers Season Ends in Defeat to Atlanta - Richmond Kickers
- Nashville SC Clinches Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Fury FC Season Ends with Heartbreaking Home Loss to Charleston - Ottawa Fury FC
- Battery Blanks Fury for Win in Final Regular Season Match - Charleston Battery
- Dramatic Season Finale on Tap for Nashville SC on Oktoberfest Weekend - Nashville SC
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs Slc | 7 p.m. Tonight | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Fan Appreciation Party at Mr. G's Tonight - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.