Fury FC Season Ends with Heartbreaking Home Loss to Charleston
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Fury FC season ended in disappointment with a 2-0 loss to the Charleston Battery at TD Place Saturday afternoon. Fury FC put on an encouraging display for the home fans, but could not break down the Battery defence.
The objective was clear and simple for Ottawa - win and maintain the chance at a playoff berth; lose and the season is over.
Fury FC understood the task at hand and started the match on the front foot. There was energy moving forward and the match was played at a brisk pace.
The Battery would get on the board first in the 14th minute. A long-range strike off the left foot of Gordon Wild gave the visitors a 1-0 lead.
The home side immediately began pressing for an equalizer. Cristian Portilla struck the crossbar directly off a corner kick and Eddie Edward had a serious penalty shout when he was taken out on the edge of the box. The referee waved play-on, and Fury FC amped up the urgency.
Steevan Dos Santos went for the spectacular in the 35th minute. The forward controlled the ball and tried the bicycle kick from the top of the box. His attempt looked to be creeping in and goalkeeper Robert Beebe punched it away for good measure.
The first half ended scoreless for the home side, but Ottawa had a glorious opportunity to pull even early in the second 45. Adonijah Reid was brought on at the half and had a good look at goal from inside the box. The Canadian put his shot wide of the far post.
The Battery doubled their lead in the 60th minute when Ian Svantesson tapped in an insurance marker after Fury FC narrowly failed to clear a cross.
Despite the two-goal advantage, Ottawa kept trying to chip away at the Charleston defence. Reid had another shot from inside the box, but it was thrashed right at Beebe.
The match ended 2-0 for Charleston, and the Fury FC season concluded in discontent, not for lack of desire or determination, from players and fans alike.
Head Coach Nikola Popovic
"The players absolutely gave everything. I was just with them and some of them are crying. I think we have to say we are very proud of our players. We also have to say thank you to our fans. They were fantastic today and came in numbers to support us.
"We created a lot of chances, but [Charleston] absorbed our pressure. When we committed one mistake, they were ready to score a goal and put the game away."
Defender Eddie Edward
"You can never question the heart and the effort this team gave all year. Unfortunately, in professional sports, that's not always good enough. Today, minus the wonder-goal and a mistake, it was one of the better games we've played all year. But we didn't get the three points."
Ottawa Fury FC (4-3-3): Crépeau; Edward, Obasi (79' Manesio), Meilleur-Giguère, Haworth ©; Gagnon-Laparé, Portilla, Mannella (87' Dixon); Luboyera (46' Reid), Dos Santos, Taylor
Charleston Battery (3-4-3): Beebe; Woodbine, Thomas, Hackshaw ©; Rittmeyer, Candela, Kelly-Rosales, Bolt; Wild, Svantesson (87' Okonkwo), Mansaray
14' CHS - Wild
60' CHS - Svantesson
84' CHS - Svantesson
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2018
- S2 Closes out 2018 Campaign with 4-1 Road Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Herrera's Highlight Finish as Independence Fall Short - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Draws RGV FC 1-1 to Conclude 2018 Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Roughnecks Season Ends with Loss to S2 - FC Tulsa
- North Carolina FC Wins Southern Derby Cup, Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive with NC Derby Win - North Carolina FC
- Penn FC Shuts out Toronto FC II - Penn FC
- City Earns Record 19th Win to End 2018 Regular Season with Shutout against Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Atlanta United 2 Wins 3-2 in Season Finale - Atlanta United 2
- Kickers Season Ends in Defeat to Atlanta - Richmond Kickers
- Nashville SC Clinches Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Fury FC Season Ends with Heartbreaking Home Loss to Charleston - Ottawa Fury FC
- Battery Blanks Fury for Win in Final Regular Season Match - Charleston Battery
- Dramatic Season Finale on Tap for Nashville SC on Oktoberfest Weekend - Nashville SC
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs Slc | 7 p.m. Tonight | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Fan Appreciation Party at Mr. G's Tonight - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.