Roughnecks Season Ends with Loss to S2
The 2018 season came to an end for the Tulsa Roughnecks FC Saturday night with a 4-1 loss to the Seattle Sounders 2. Eti Tavares scored the Roughnecks' only goal at the end of the first half. The Roughnecks end the 2018 campaign with a 3-19-12 record and with 21 points.
Saturday marked the first time that S2 has ever beaten Tulsa. The Roughnecks are now 1-5-1 all-time against the Sounders 2.
The finale began with both teams going forward and TRFC generated a few good chances. In the seventh minute, Paris Gee ran down the left side of the field and took a strong right-footed shot to the far post from about 20 yards out. S2's keeper, Calle Brown, was forced into a diving save.
Mintues later, Tulsa just missed another golden opportunity. Michael Gamble dribbled into the box and around a defender and gave himself a chance to deliver a cross right in front of the goal. Isaac Diaz stood and waited for the ball, but a Seattle defender was there to make a great play to clear the ball away just off the goal line.
The Sounders 2 opened the scoring in the 21st minute. David Estrada received a pass in the box and immediately delivered the ball to Alec Diaz. Diaz volleyed the ball into the right side of the net to give S2 a 1-0 lead.
Tulsa ended the half strongly, and it paid off with the equalizer in the 42nd minute. From midfield, Josh Morton delivered a perfect cross-field pass to Eti Tavares who had just the keeper in front of him. Tavares sent in a low shot that went through Brown's legs to even things up at 1-1.
Seconds after halftime, Seattle retook the lead. Diaz and Claudio Munoz became tangled as the ball rolled free on the left side of the penalty area. Diaz bumped it to Estrada who delivered a perfect shot to the upper 90 of the far post for the go-ahead goal.
The Sounders 2 extended their lead in the 63rd minute. A cross inside of the area deflected off TRFC defender Adrian Jusino and directly to Antonee Burke-Gilroy who was left with a wide-open shot. He found the back of the net to put S2 on top 3-1.
Seattle scored its fourth goal in the 87th minute when substitute David Olsen got behind the Roughnecks backline and lofted a shot that left Cerda with no chance.
Seattle Sounders 2 4 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC 1
Saturday, October 13, 2018
ONEOK Field - Tulsa, OK
SEA - Alec Diaz (Estrada) 21'
TUL - Eti Tavares (Morton) 42'
SEA - David Estrada (Diaz) 46'
SEA - Antonee Burke-Gilroy 63'
SEA - David Olsen (Diaz) 87'
SEA - Jalen Markey (caution) 8'
TUL - Michael Gamble 48'
TUL - Claudio Munoz 53'
Tulsa Roughnecks FC: Fabian Cerda, Josh Morton (Christian Rodriguez 72'), Adrian Jusino, Claudio Munoz © (Terence Smith 57'), Nemanja Vukovic, Paris Gee (D.J. Dean 45+2'), Ivan Mirkovic, Alex Covarrubias, Isaac Diaz, Eti Tavares, Michael Gamble.
Shots: 7; Shots on Goal: 6; Saves: 2; Fouls: 12; Corners: 2; Offsides: 6.
Seattle Sounders 2: Calle Brown, Denso Ulysse, Jalen Markey, Rodrigue Ele, Khai Brisco, Jesse Daley, Nick Hinds (Azriel Gonzalez 55'), Shandon Hopeau (Marlon Vargas 55'), Alec Diaz, Antonee Burke-Gilroy (David Olsen 76'), David Estrada ©.
Shots: 16; Shots on Goal: 6; Saves: 5; Fouls: 8; Corners: 3; Offsides: 4.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2018
- S2 Closes out 2018 Campaign with 4-1 Road Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Herrera's Highlight Finish as Independence Fall Short - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Draws RGV FC 1-1 to Conclude 2018 Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Roughnecks Season Ends with Loss to S2 - FC Tulsa
- North Carolina FC Wins Southern Derby Cup, Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive with NC Derby Win - North Carolina FC
- Penn FC Shuts out Toronto FC II - Penn FC
- City Earns Record 19th Win to End 2018 Regular Season with Shutout against Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Atlanta United 2 Wins 3-2 in Season Finale - Atlanta United 2
- Kickers Season Ends in Defeat to Atlanta - Richmond Kickers
- Nashville SC Clinches Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Fury FC Season Ends with Heartbreaking Home Loss to Charleston - Ottawa Fury FC
- Battery Blanks Fury for Win in Final Regular Season Match - Charleston Battery
- Dramatic Season Finale on Tap for Nashville SC on Oktoberfest Weekend - Nashville SC
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs Slc | 7 p.m. Tonight | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Fan Appreciation Party at Mr. G's Tonight - Penn FC
Other Recent FC Tulsa Stories
- Preview: FC Tulsa Attempts to Extend Best-Ever Start in Franchise History
- FC Tulsa Harkens Back to NASL Roughnecks with Latest Merch Line
- Single Match Tickets Now Available to FC Tulsa Home Opener
- FC Tulsa Holding Virtual National Anthem Auditions
- FC Tulsa Releases Single Match Tickets to Home Opener on August 12