San Antonio FC Draws RGV FC 1-1 to Conclude 2018 Regular Season
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (14-12-8) tied Rio Grande Valley FC (8-12-14) 1-1 at Toyota Field on Saturday night in the final match of the 2018 regular season. A goal from Ever Guzman secured the club a point at home as they wait on the result between Swope Park Rangers and LA Galaxy II tomorrow to determine their playoff fate.
"We created several chances throughout the game, but we should have converted a few more and executed better," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "It was a thrilling game if you were watching it end to end because everyone knew what was at stake."
"We're still in a playoff position and it's something we want to dearly hold on to. Now we have to hope the (Swope Park Rangers) result goes our way tomorrow."
SAFC opened the scoring in the 24th minute after midfielder Lance Laing sent a driven cross into the box after a rebound from a corner kick. Guzman headed the ball past goalkeeper Michael Nelson and into the net to make it 1-0.
The goal marks Guzman's 11th of the season, setting a new single-season scoring record and surpassing former SAFC midfielder Billy Forbes' tally. The goal was Guzman's 15th overall in regular season play for the Alamo City club since joining the team late last season, adding to the Mexican striker's all-time leading tally.
RGV FC found an equalizer in the 51st minute after forward Carlos Small snuck a low shot past goalkeeper Matthew Cardone to level the score at 1-1.
Cardone recorded six saves on the night, tying his season-high tally this season. The San Antonio native recorded 37 saves in 12 appearances throughout the regular season.
San Antonio's playoff destiny now depends on the result between Swope Park Rangers and LA Galaxy II, who play at Children's Mercy Park tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. CT. SAFC will need Los Dos to get a win if they hope to advance to the 2018 USL Cup Playoffs. Any other result would mark the end of the season for the Alamo City club.
SAFC: 1-0, Ever Guzman (Lance Laing assist) 24'
RGVFC: 1-1, Carlos Small (Jesus Enriquez assist) 51'
RGVFC: Yellow Card (Sheldon Sullivan 12')
RGVFC: Yellow Card (Pablo Aguilar 20')
RGVFC: Yellow Card (Jesus Enriquez 43')
RGVFC: Yellow Card (Carlos Small 58')
SAFC: Yellow Card (Darnell King 68')
SAFC: Yellow Card (Ever Guzman 90')
RGVFC: Yellow Card (Todd Wharton 90')
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Darnell King, Cyprian Hedrick, Moises Hernandez, Greg Cochrane (c); M: Pecka, Mikey Lopez (Rafa Castillo 65'), Jose Escalante (Cesar Elizondo 66'), Ethan Bryant (Mike Seth 86'), Lance Laing; F: Ever Guzman
Substitutions Not Used: Armando Quezada, Maxi Rodriguez, Charlie Ward, Connor Presley
San Antonio FC ended the 2018 regular season with a 1-1 draw with rivals RGV FC at Toyota Field...with the result, SAFC recorded a 14-12-8 record on the season and a 10-3-4 record at home...SAFC scored 45 goals while conceding 48 on the season...the 45 goals are tied for a club-high in a season after SAFC matched the total from the 2017 season
San Antonio FC will now wait to learn their playoff fate...if the Swope Park Rangers lose to LA Galaxy II on Sunday, SAFC will advance to the 2018 playoffs
SAFC forward and SWBC Man of the Match Ever Guzman scored his 11th goal on the season, giving him the single-season record for SAFC, surpassing former midfielder Billy Forbes...Guzman's 15 total regular season goals are the most in club history
SAFC midfielder Lance Laing recorded his sixth assist on the season in the draw... Laing's six assists finish the season as the team-high despite the Jamaican joining the team in late August
SAFC Season Leaders: Games (Greg Cochrane, Darnell King - 32), Minutes (Darnell King - 2,870), Goals (Ever Guzman - 11), Assists (Lance Laing - 6), Saves (Diego Restrepo - 74), Chances Created (Ever Guzman - 33), Clearances (Cyprian Hedrick - 129), Tackles (Darnell King - 89), Interceptions (Darnell King - 69), Passing Accuracy (Charlie Ward - 89.6)
San Antonio FC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone made six saves on the night, matching his season-high (also 8/15/18 at POR)...goalkeeper Diego Restrepo set the SAFC single-game saves record with nine this season
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2018
- S2 Closes out 2018 Campaign with 4-1 Road Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Herrera's Highlight Finish as Independence Fall Short - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Draws RGV FC 1-1 to Conclude 2018 Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Roughnecks Season Ends with Loss to S2 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- North Carolina FC Wins Southern Derby Cup, Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive with NC Derby Win - North Carolina FC
- Penn FC Shuts out Toronto FC II - Penn FC
- City Earns Record 19th Win to End 2018 Regular Season with Shutout against Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Atlanta United 2 Wins 3-2 in Season Finale - Atlanta United 2
- Kickers Season Ends in Defeat to Atlanta - Richmond Kickers
- Nashville SC Clinches Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Fury FC Season Ends with Heartbreaking Home Loss to Charleston - Ottawa Fury FC
- Battery Blanks Fury for Win in Final Regular Season Match - Charleston Battery
- Dramatic Season Finale on Tap for Nashville SC on Oktoberfest Weekend - Nashville SC
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs Slc | 7 p.m. Tonight | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Fan Appreciation Party at Mr. G's Tonight - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Draws 2-2 against South Texas Rivals Rgv FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts RGV FC in Crucial Copa Tejas Matchup
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named USL Championship Player of the Week
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win; Defeats Reno 1868 FC 4-1
- San Antonio FC Faces Tough Road Test Away to Reno 1868 FC