City Earns Record 19th Win to End 2018 Regular Season with Shutout against Indy Eleven
Louisville City FC finished off the 2018 regular season with a clean sheet and fantastic showing against Indy Eleven as they now look ahead to the USL Playoffs next Saturday, October 20 at Slugger Field.
A chilly night in Louisville saw Louisville City FC host fellow playoff team Indy Eleven in front of a packed house of just over 10,500 fans at Slugger Field.
With captain Paolo DelPiccolo back in the line-up after missing out on Tuesday's match due to yellow card accumulation, coach John Hackworth made no other changes to his starting XI.
Indy was closest to opening the scoring from a set-piece in the 17th minute, but City midfielder Niall McCabe was alert to the threat and produced a spectacular goal line clearance to preserve the clean sheet at that point.
The match turned in City's favor when, in the 33rd minute, forward Ilija Ilic was clipped in the box and the hosts were awarded a penalty. Stepping up to take, forward Cameron Lancaster-who had just broken the all-time USL single-season goalscoring record on Tuesday-buried the effort to put City ahead.
That would be the lone action of the rest of the first half as LouCity took a narrow advantage into the break, up 1-0.
Into the second half, Hack opted to replace Cameron Lancaster and Ilija Ilic with Luke Spencer and Magnus Rasmussen, who made his return to the pitch for the first time since August 10 against New York Red Bulls II.
An almost instant impact, Rasmussen took just one minute to test Indy 'keeper Owain Fon Williams, who produced an impressive save to keep the Dane off the scoresheet.
Pushing Indy until the end, LouCity wrapped up the 2018 regular season with another home win to move to 66 points, again beating their best total in its four-year history!
Louisville City FC now heads into the 2018 USL Eastern Conference Playoffs as the two-seed and will wait until Sunday night to figure out their opposition in the First Round. The First Round will commence on Saturday, October 20, with kickoff set for 7:30 p.m. at Slugger Field. For more information on ticket availability and City's run to the 2018 USL Cup, visit LouisvilleCityFC.com.
The Key Points:
Forward Cameron Lancaster scored his 25th goal of the regular season, further adding to his record-breaking tally in USL play
QUESTIONABLE - Magnus Rasmussen (Knee sprain)
Louisville City FC 1 : 0 Indy Eleven
Saturday, October 13, 2018
Slugger Field | Louisville, KY
49 degrees / sunny
LOU - Cameron Lancaster (p) 34'
LOU - Paolo DelPiccolo (caution) 26'
LOU - Alexis Souahy (caution) 31'
IND - Karl Ouimette (caution) 50'
IND - Seth Moses (caution) 79'
IND - Dylan Mares (caution) 82'
Starting XI (4-2-3-1): Greg Ranjitsingh (GK); Kyle Smith, Alexis Souahy (Sean Totsch 81'), Paco Craig, Oscar Jimenez; Paolo DelPiccolo, Niall McCabe; Brian Ownby, Ilija Ilic (Magnus Rasmussen 66'), George Davis IV; Cameron Lancaster (Luke Spencer 63')
Bench: Tim Dobrowolski, Pat McMahon, Jose Carranza, Richard Ballard
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2018
- S2 Closes out 2018 Campaign with 4-1 Road Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Herrera's Highlight Finish as Independence Fall Short - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Draws RGV FC 1-1 to Conclude 2018 Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Roughnecks Season Ends with Loss to S2 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- North Carolina FC Wins Southern Derby Cup, Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive with NC Derby Win - North Carolina FC
- Penn FC Shuts out Toronto FC II - Penn FC
- City Earns Record 19th Win to End 2018 Regular Season with Shutout against Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Atlanta United 2 Wins 3-2 in Season Finale - Atlanta United 2
- Kickers Season Ends in Defeat to Atlanta - Richmond Kickers
- Nashville SC Clinches Playoffs in Inaugural Season - Nashville SC
- Fury FC Season Ends with Heartbreaking Home Loss to Charleston - Ottawa Fury FC
- Battery Blanks Fury for Win in Final Regular Season Match - Charleston Battery
- Dramatic Season Finale on Tap for Nashville SC on Oktoberfest Weekend - Nashville SC
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs Slc | 7 p.m. Tonight | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Fan Appreciation Party at Mr. G's Tonight - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.