Atlanta United 2 to Play 2019 Home Matches at Fifth Third Bank Stadium
ATLANTA (Dec. 14, 2018) - Atlanta United 2 today announced that Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, Georgia will be the home venue for the team's 2019 season.
ATL UTD 2's home matches during its inaugural 2018 season were played at Gwinnett County's Coolray Field in Lawrenceville, Georgia.
"Coolray Field was an excellent home during our first season," Atlanta United Vice President of Business Operations Catie Griggs said. "We are extremely grateful to everyone at Coolray Field, the Gwinnett Stripers and Atlanta Braves organizations, Gwinnett County Sports Commission and all of our Gwinnett-based fans who made our inaugural campaign memorable. Lawrenceville will forever be the first home of ATL UTD 2, and for that, Coolray Field will always hold a special place in our club's history."
Atlanta United's First Team played a pair of U.S. Open Cup matches at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in 2017 and 2018, both resulting in wins against Charleston Battery. ATL UTD 2 also hosted a rescheduled match there on Aug. 7 after a previous game was suspended due to weather.
Owned by Kennesaw State University, Fifth Third Bank Stadium is home to KSU's women's soccer and lacrosse teams and the Owls' football team. It also hosts many other events, including rugby, concerts and festivals, and is the home venue for the Atlanta Blaze of Major League Lacrosse. Originally named KSU Stadium, the venue opened in 2010 as a soccer-specific stadium with the former Women's Professional Soccer team Atlanta Beat hosting the first athletics event.
"We are excited to make Kennesaw our new home next year," said Griggs. "Fifth Third Bank Stadium features an award-winning, top-class playing surface and is a venue designed for professional soccer. In addition to its convenient proximity to the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground, hosting our home matches in Kennesaw provides ATL UTD 2 the best environment to develop while also strengthening the Atlanta United brand close to home."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 14, 2018
- Sounders FC 2 to Open 2019 Season at Home on March 9 - Tacoma Defiance
- STLFC Opens 2019 Season at Home against Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Phoenix Rising Home Opener Set for March 16th - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC to Open 2019 at Home against Loudoun United FC - Nashville SC
- T2 to Play 2019 USL Championship Home Opener at Merlo Field against Las Vegas Lights FC on March 23 - Portland Timbers 2
- Fresno FC to Host Reno 1868 FC in 2019 USL Home Opener on March 23 - Fresno FC
- USL Championship Home Openers Revealed - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2019 Home Opener - Atlanta United 2
- 2019 USL Championship Home Openers Revealed - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Memphis 901 FC Debut Set for Saturday, March 9 at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
- Hounds to Face Hartford Athletic in 2019 Home Opener - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Charleston Battery Home Opener Set for March 9 - Charleston Battery
- Louisville City FC to Face Hartford Athletic in 2019 USL Home Opener on Saturday, March 23 - Louisville City FC
- 2019 USL Championship Home Openers Revealed - Indy Eleven
- 2019 USL Championship Home Openers Revealed - USL
- San Antonio FC to Host Phoenix Rising FC on March 9 in 2019 Home Opener - San Antonio FC
- USL Championship Announces Bethlehem Steel FC's 2019 Home Opener - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Austin Bold FC to Host San Antonio FC on March 30 in Inaugural Home Match - Austin Bold FC
- North Carolina FC to Host Defending USL Cup Champion Louisville City SC in 2019 Home Opener - North Carolina FC
- Atlanta United 2 to Play 2019 Home Matches at Fifth Third Bank Stadium - Atlanta United 2
- Louisville City FC Scores Forward Lucky Mkosana - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.