ATL UTD 2 Wins 3-2 vs. Ottawa Fury FC
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United 2 defeated Ottawa Fury FC 3-2 Saturday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. A pair of Homegrown forwards led Atlanta to victory as Andrew Carleton scored a brace while Patrick Okonkwo opened his account with his first goal for the club.
ATL UTD 2 scored with the fastest goal in team history just 17 seconds into the match. Fury FC opened the match with a back pass to center back Chris Mannella who was immediately met with pressure from Okonkwo. Mannella launched a long ball down the right side where Kevin Kratz intercepted and played it to Okonkwo. The forward passed back to Kratz who one-timed a through ball in the air for Carleton down the left side. The 19-year-old dribbled into the box and skillfully chipped the ball over Callum Irving on the edge of the six-yard box for a 1-0 lead.
Okonkwo doubled Atlanta's lead in the 26th minute. Jack Metcalf sent in a pin-point cross on the ground to Amir Bashti where the midfielder one-timed a shot inside the six-yard box, but had it saved by Irving. Luiz Fernando nearly scored off the rebound, but Mannella attempted a clearance which deflected off Okonkwo and into the net.
Ottawa pulled one goal back with a penalty kick in the 39th minute. Wesly Decas was ruled to have fouled Carl Haworth inside the 18-yard box. Wal Fall stepped to the spot and scored with a shot to the bottom left corner.
Fury FC later equalized in the 70th minute off a set piece. Ottawa won a free kick on the right side and sent a ball towards the back post that fell for Maxim Tissot where he sent a low cross for Hadji Barry who redirected it past Alec Kann.
Carleton, however, handed ATL UTD 2 the lead two minutes later. Amir Bashti received a pass on the right wing and delivered a cross that drifted on-frame at the near side, which caught Irving by surprise who was initially positioned at the back post. Irving rushed back across the mouth of goal and knocked the ball down, but Carleton pounced on the loose ball and drilled it in the net from close range for his third goal of the season.
ATL UTD 2 (6-16-5, 23 points) returns to action Saturday, Sept. 14 against Tampa Bay Rowdies at 7:30 p.m. EST at Al Lang Stadium. The match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
Atlanta 3, Ottawa 2
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 17-7 Ottawa
Shots on Target: 6-5 Ottawa
Corner kicks: 5-4 Ottawa
Fouls committed: 18-13 Atlanta
Saves: 4-2 Atlanta
Offside: 5-2 Atlanta
Possession: 54-46 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 84-79 Atlanta
ATL - Andrew Carleton (Kevin Kratz) 1'
ATL - Patrick Okonkwo 26'
OTT - Wal Fall (penalty) 39'
OTT - Hadji Barry (Maxim Tissot) 70'
ATL - Andrew Carleton 72'
OTT - Robert Boskovic (yellow) 23'
ATL - Luiz Fernando (yellow) 45+1'
OTT - Carl Haworth (yellow) 45+1'
ATL - Amir Bashti (yellow) 70'
OTT - Wal Fall (yellow) 89'
ATLANTA UNITED 2 STARTING LINEUP
Alec Kann; Mikey Ambrose, Wesly Decas, Laurence Wyke, Jack Metcalf ©; Luiz Fernando, Mo Adams, Kevin Kratz (Guillermo Benitez - 90+2'), Amir Bashti (Kevin Barajas - 85'); Patrick Okonkwo (Jackson Conway - 68'), Andrew Carleton.
Substitutes not used: Dylan Castanheira, Jose Hernandez, Tyler Ruthven, Laurent Kissiedou.
OTTAWA FURY FC STARTING LINEUP
Callum Irving; Chris Mannella, Robert Boskovic, Maxim Tissot, Jamar Dixon (Protais Mutambala - 71'), Charlie Ward, Kévin Oliveira, Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé (Thiago - 86'), Wal Fall, Carl Haworth, Hadji Barry.
Substitutes not used: Cameron Shaw, Dakota Barnathan, Onua Obasi, Thomas Meilleur-Giguere, David Monsalve.
Kevin Broadley (referee), Brian Marshall (assistant), Kyle Johnston (assistant), Jacob Alwes (fourth official)
Patrick Okonkwo scored his first goal for ATL UTD 2
Andrew Carleton scored his second and third goals of the season and his first professional brace
Amir Bashti made his first start for the club
Kevin Kratz recorded his first assist of the season
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 7, 2019
- Toros Fall to the Roughnecks at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Roughnecks Extend Undefeated Streak at RGV, Win 2-1 - FC Tulsa
- Fury FC Comeback Falls Just Short in Atlanta - Ottawa Fury FC
- Memphis 901 FC Rolls on Offense in 4-2 Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Held Scoreless in 1-0 Loss at Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 3-2 vs. Ottawa Fury FC - Atlanta United 2
- Hounds Stay Unbeaten at Home, Tie Louisville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rowdies Down Independence - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Earns 3-3 Home Draw against Bethlehem Steel FC - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC at Reno 1868 FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Match Preview: #CLTvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- RECAP: Hartford Dominates 5-1; Next Home Match September 14th - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United Fall to Hartford Athletic 5-1 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Preview: Here Come the Boys in Orange - Hartford Athletic
- It's Match Day at RGV - 7:30 p.m. - FC Tulsa
- Game Day: LouCity vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds Tonight - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC Expecting Strong Challenge on the Road against Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- LouCity vs. Pittsburgh a Clash of USL Leaders - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Back Home Sunday Evening - OKC Energy FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Head to South Carolina to Face Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United 2 Stories
- Atlanta United 2 Closes out Season with 3-1 Defeat
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs the Miami FC
- Atlanta United 2 Defeats New York Red Bulls II 5-3 in Home Finale
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs New York Red Bulls II
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 2-1 at Home to Tampa Bay Rowdies