Fury FC Comeback Falls Just Short in Atlanta
Ottawa Fury FC fought back to erase a 2-0 deficit on Saturday but ultimately fell just short in a 3-2 loss to Atlanta United 2.
Atlanta came out strong early on, as Andrew Carleton struck first in this match, followed by a score courtesy of Patrick Okonkwo added in the 26th minute, giving his team a two goal edge.
But Fury would battle back, with Wal Fall cutting Atlanta's lead in half with a goal on a penalty kick in the 39th minute. Hadji Barry would tie the game in the 70th minute before Atlanta answered back with a goal of their own in the 72nd minute, once again off the foot of Carleton.
Fury will look to get back into the win column on Wednesday when they visit Indy Eleven as the extended road trip continues.
Pressing during the full 90 minutes in attempt to come back, Ottawa Fury FC directed a total of 17 shots towards Atlanta's goal.
Forward Hadji Barry's goal on Saturday was his second in a Fury FC uniform.
With his goal tonight, Wal Fall joins Carl Haworth atop the list of Fury FC's top goals scorers, as they share the lead with 8 goals apiece.
The possession was shared between both sides in this match, with Atlanta having the slight edge of 53.8% against Ottawa's 46.2%.
Head Coach Nikola Popovic
"About the game today, of course it's unfortunate to start the game losing 1-0, then the team started recovering well, we got into our rhythm, however, we went on to concede a second goal. We then came back and scored one right before half time, which gave us a boost and we came out and played well in the second half and went on to tie it. We have to give our players credit for coming back and always fighting. A small detail cost us and they took advantage from it to gain the lead, and we pushed until the very end, we had a lot of shots and chances, I think we deserved to come out with at least a point out of this game, but it didn't happen and that is unfortunate. However, we fought until the end. We are not satisfied with the result obviously, but we have to be confident that with the way we are playing, the goals and the wins are going to come in our next matches."
Ottawa Fury FC (4-3-3): Irving; Dixon (71' Mutambala), Mannella, Boskovic, Tissot, Ward, Fall, Gagnon-Laparé (86' Thiago); Oliveira, Barry, Haworth ©
Atlanta United 2 (4-4-1): Kann; Ambrose, Decas, Wyke, Metcalf; Fernando, Adams, Kratz (90' Benitez), Bashti (85' Barajas); Carleton, Okonkwo (68' Conway)
1' - ATL Carleton (Kratz)
26' - ATL Okonkwo
39' - OTT Fall (PK)
70' - OTT Barry (Tissot)
72' - ATL Carleton
23' - OTT Boskovic
45' - OTT Haworth
45' - ATL Fernando
70' - ATL Bashti
89' - OTT Fall
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 7, 2019
- Toros Fall to the Roughnecks at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Roughnecks Extend Undefeated Streak at RGV, Win 2-1 - FC Tulsa
- Fury FC Comeback Falls Just Short in Atlanta - Ottawa Fury FC
- Memphis 901 FC Rolls on Offense in 4-2 Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Held Scoreless in 1-0 Loss at Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 3-2 vs. Ottawa Fury FC - Atlanta United 2
- Hounds Stay Unbeaten at Home, Tie Louisville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rowdies Down Independence - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Earns 3-3 Home Draw against Bethlehem Steel FC - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC at Reno 1868 FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Match Preview: #CLTvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- RECAP: Hartford Dominates 5-1; Next Home Match September 14th - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United Fall to Hartford Athletic 5-1 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Preview: Here Come the Boys in Orange - Hartford Athletic
- It's Match Day at RGV - 7:30 p.m. - FC Tulsa
- Game Day: LouCity vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds Tonight - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC Expecting Strong Challenge on the Road against Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- LouCity vs. Pittsburgh a Clash of USL Leaders - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Back Home Sunday Evening - OKC Energy FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Head to South Carolina to Face Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.