Game Day: LouCity vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds Tonight
It's a crucial Eastern Conference battle as Louisville City FC takes on Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Saturday night at Highmark Stadium in Pittsburgh.
LouCity, 7th in the East at 12-7-7, is four points behind Pittsburgh (13-4-8, 5th) in the Eastern Conference table. While both teams are highly likely to make the 10-team playoff field, both clubs are shooting for one of the automatic bye slots in the East given to the top six teams. Beyond that, the top four seeds in the East not only get a bye but they are also guaranteed to host a playoff game.
"This is a six-point game," LouCity coach John Hackworth said. "When another team is so close to you in the table and you are playing this late in the season, a win not only means three points for you, but also three points that they don't get."
The Riverhounds have been tremendous at home this season, going 8-0-5. Pittsburgh coach Bob Lilley is known for his tough, defensive-minded teams.
"We know that Pittsburgh has quality players and play extremely hard," Hackworth said. "We know it is going to be a fight Saturday night."
For Louisville City, the lineup has shifted quite a bit. Midfielder Speedy Williams and defender Shaun Francis were called up to the Jamaican National Team, center back Paco Craig will miss Saturday night's match with the Yellow Card accumulation, and several players are recovering from injuries. Creative scorer Magnus Rasmussen is back in the lineup after missing last week due to Yellow Card accumulation.
Louisville City has been resilient this season. The club battled through a stretch of injuries and call-ups earlier this season and emerged as the hottest team in the Eastern Conference during the last five games. LouCity has won 13 of a possible 15 points in its last five matches, leading the league during that stretch.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 7, 2019
- Toros Fall to the Roughnecks at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Roughnecks Extend Undefeated Streak at RGV, Win 2-1 - FC Tulsa
- Fury FC Comeback Falls Just Short in Atlanta - Ottawa Fury FC
- Memphis 901 FC Rolls on Offense in 4-2 Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Held Scoreless in 1-0 Loss at Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 3-2 vs. Ottawa Fury FC - Atlanta United 2
- Hounds Stay Unbeaten at Home, Tie Louisville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rowdies Down Independence - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Earns 3-3 Home Draw against Bethlehem Steel FC - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC at Reno 1868 FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Match Preview: #CLTvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- RECAP: Hartford Dominates 5-1; Next Home Match September 14th - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United Fall to Hartford Athletic 5-1 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Preview: Here Come the Boys in Orange - Hartford Athletic
- It's Match Day at RGV - 7:30 p.m. - FC Tulsa
- Game Day: LouCity vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds Tonight - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC Expecting Strong Challenge on the Road against Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- LouCity vs. Pittsburgh a Clash of USL Leaders - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Back Home Sunday Evening - OKC Energy FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Head to South Carolina to Face Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity's Lancaster, Ownby Earn USL Team of the Week Spots
- Kickoff Time Changed for LouCity Finale
- LouCity Acquires Former Cardinal Standout Walker on Loan
- Lancaster Scores Two as LouCity's Winning Streak Continues
- Game Day: Follow Along with LouCity-Memphis 901 FC