Toros Fall to the Roughnecks at Home
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (7-13-7, 28 pts.) fall to T0ulsa Roughnecks FC (6-13-9, 27 pts.) at H-E-B Park on Saturday night, 0-1.
The first half was full of action. The Roughnecks tested the Toros goal when Tobenna Uzo made a quick turn and shot but missed to the left side of the goal in the 6th minute. Four minutes later, Nico Lemoine attacked Tulsa's goal when he took a left footed shot from the right side of the box, but goalkeeper Sean Lewis deflected the shot out.
In the 13th minute, Kevin Rodriguez sent a cross inside the box to Lemoine where he attempted twice to shoot but was blocked by Tulsa's defending line. Three minutes later, Uzo attempted another turning shot but Houston Dynamo loanee, Tyler Deric, managed to save the shot.
The Toros continued to threaten the Roughnecks goal when Carlos Small shot from the left side of the box and sent a shot to the right but missed up close. He had another opportunity when he sent a shot from outside the box but hit the crossbar in the 29th minute.
In the 33rd minute, Lemoine took a right footed shot from the center of the box but was saved at the bottom right corner of the goal. Three minutes later, Rodriguez took a shot from outside the box but was saved in the bottom left corner.
RGVFC had two back-to-back attempts when Small took a left footed shot from the center of the box but missed at the top left corner in the 42nd minute. Jesus Enriquez shot a left footed shot from outside the box but was saved at the top left corner.
In the second half, Small took a shot from the right side of the box but missed to the left in the 49th minute. Nearly one minute later, Rodrigo da Costa sent a backheel pass to Marlon who took a right footed shot from the right side of the box to the bottom left corner sending it past Deric, 0-1.
In the 77th minute, Enriquez shot from outside the box but was saved in the top right corner of the goal by Lewis. RGVFC had one last attempt before the last whistle when Small sent a right footed shot from outside the box but was blocked by a Tulsa defender at the goal line in the 88th minute.
Overall, The Toros ended the night with 15 total shots, six shots on target, completed 478 passes with 87 percent passing accuracy. The Roughnecks totaled 12 shots, four on target and completed 394 passes with 88.6 percent passing accuracy.
Offensively, Small led the squad with five total shots, one on target and two key passes. Both Enriquez and Lemoine each totaled four shots, two on target and two blocked shots. Enriquez added three key passes.
On defense, Conor Donovan totaled four clearances, one tackle, an interception and block. Robert Castellanos contributed two clearances, two interceptions and one tackle. Deric totaled three saves for the night including one clearance.
RGV FC will head on the road for a two-game road trip to California. Starting off with Sacramento Republic FC on Sunday, September 15. Kickoff will be at 4:00 p.m. CT. The match will be available on ESPN+.
Updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: TUL - Marlon 50' (Assist by da Costa).
Misconduct Summary: RGV FC - Lemoine 34' YC, Hernandez 48' YC, Castellanos 78' YC, Rodriguez 81' YC.
TUL - Prasad 26' YC, Boakye-Mensa 87' YC.
TUL - Lewis, Sheldon, Hedrick, Roberts, Prasad (Yacoubou 72'), da Costa, Marlon, Altamirano (Boakye-Mensa 66'), Reyes, Rezende (Gonzalez 45'), Uzo.
Subs: Stajduhar, Mompremier, Ajeakwa, Silva.
Stats: Shots: 12 Shots on Goal: 4 Saves: 5 Fouls: 10 Corner Kicks: 2 Offsides: 1.
RGV FC - Deric, Samuels, Coronado (Jackson 30'), Castellanos, Donovan, Lemoine (Garza 74'), Martinez, Hernandez, Enriquez, Rodriguez (Beckford 85'), Small.
Subs: Adams, Dunwell, Corti, Cabrera.
Stats: Shots: 15 Shots on Goal: 6 Saves: 3 Fouls: 18 Corner Kicks: 9 Offsides: 2.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 7, 2019
- Toros Fall to the Roughnecks at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Roughnecks Extend Undefeated Streak at RGV, Win 2-1 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Fury FC Comeback Falls Just Short in Atlanta - Ottawa Fury FC
- Memphis 901 FC Rolls on Offense in 4-2 Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Held Scoreless in 1-0 Loss at Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 3-2 vs. Ottawa Fury FC - Atlanta United 2
- Hounds Stay Unbeaten at Home, Tie Louisville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rowdies Down Independence - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Earns 3-3 Home Draw against Bethlehem Steel FC - North Carolina FC
- Fresno FC at Reno 1868 FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Match Preview: #CLTvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- RECAP: Hartford Dominates 5-1; Next Home Match September 14th - Hartford Athletic
- Loudoun United Fall to Hartford Athletic 5-1 on the Road - Loudoun United
- Preview: Here Come the Boys in Orange - Hartford Athletic
- It's Match Day at RGV - 7:30 p.m. - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Game Day: LouCity vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds Tonight - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC Expecting Strong Challenge on the Road against Saint Louis FC - Nashville SC
- LouCity vs. Pittsburgh a Clash of USL Leaders - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Back Home Sunday Evening - OKC Energy FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Head to South Carolina to Face Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Season with 2-1 Win over Timbers 2
- RGV FC Hosts Timbers 2 for Last Game of the 2019 Season
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy
- Preview: RGV FC Makes Last Road Trip to OKC Energy
- Toros Equalize with New Mexico 1-1