Army-Navy Cup IX and X Returns to Subaru Park in 2021
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union today announced the return of Army-Navy Cup Presented by Leidos to Subaru Park. The teams will meet twice this year at the Union's stadium for the lauded 9th and 10th Army-Navy Cup.
Due to the Patriot League's 2020 fall schedule being moved to this spring, Army-Navy Cup IX, the first of this year's rivalry matchups, between the two academies will take place on Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. ET. Army-Navy Cup X, the 10th anniversary matchup, will take place during the 2021 fall season, at a date and time to be announced later. The Union and Subaru Park continue to abide by all health and safety protocols set by local officials, and should there be the capability to host fans, the club will announce capacity and ticket sales for the match at a later date.
"Philadelphia Union and Subaru Park are delighted and honored to welcome back the teams from Army West Point and Navy for Army-Navy Cup IX and Army-Navy Cup X," said Tim McDermott, Philadelphia Union President. "The Cup has become a celebrated tradition and one that we have proudly hosted since its inception. We are inspired by the bravery and sacrifice of these student-athletes and it is a privilege to provide a home to this rivalry. As we approach the ten-year anniversary, we are able to see just how far this event has come and look forward to many more years of this partnership."
"We are excited to return to Subaru Park for the Army-Navy Cup in this most unprecedented of men's soccer seasons," said Mike Buddie, Army West Point Director of Athletics. The Army-Navy Cup is one of the most dynamic soccer experiences in the country and we are glad it can be showcased in Philadelphia once again. We thank the Philadelphia Union for hosting this incredible experience for our coaches and cadet athletes. It is an opportunity of a lifetime to play our rivals in a world-class facility."
Army-Navy Cup has become one of the highest attended collegiate soccer matches in the nation annually, and saw it reach the third-highest match attended in 2017. It has twice seen 10,000+ fans fill the stands at the then named Talen Energy Stadium. A five-year contract extension, signed in 2018, ensures the prestigious match stays at the stadium through 2022.
"We are excited to return to Subaru Park this year and being able to continue a wonderful relationship with Philadelphia and the Union," said Chet Gladchuk, Director of Athletics at the United States Naval Academy. "Our coaches and players really enjoy the stadium and to play our rival Army in such an inspiring setting will be a lifelong memory for all."
Army-Navy Cup is presented by Leidos, a global leader in products and services, designed to make the world safer, healthier and more efficient through information technology, engineering and science.
"Leidos has a rich tradition of supporting our nation's armed forces, and it is our high honor to sponsor this year's historic rivalry," said Gerry Fasano, Leidos Defense Group president. "These young men and women have displayed resiliency and perseverance throughout the pandemic, and we are delighted to support an event that highlights the tenacity and grit of our future military leaders."
The Philadelphia Union has played host to the Army-Navy Cup since its inaugural match in 2012, with Army currently leading the series at 3-2-3. The debut edition in 2012 ended in a draw, as did the 2017 match. Navy won in both 2013 and 2014, while Army took the victory in 2015, 2016 and 2018. The last time the academies met in 2019, the match ended in a 1-1 draw in double overtime.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 23, 2021
- Canada Soccer's Men's National Team to Commence FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Qualifiers in Orlando - Orlando City SC
- Five RSL Organization Members Selected to CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Rosters - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City SC Acquires Dutch Forward Silvester van der Water - Orlando City SC
- Eriq Zavaleta Re-Signs with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Bassett, Lewis, Trusty and Vines Named to Preliminary Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Justin Morrow Re-Signs with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Army-Navy Cup IX and X Returns to Subaru Park in 2021 - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Unveil 2021 Primary Jersey - Portland Timbers
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Multi-Year Partnership with TikTok - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids Players Support 'Help Colorado Now' COVID Relief Fund - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule
- Philadelphia Union Sign Center Back Stuart Findlay
- Army-Navy Cup IX and X Returns to Subaru Park in 2021
- Round of 16 Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round
- Philadelphia Union Unveil New 2021 Secondary Kit