Colorado Rapids Players Support 'Help Colorado Now' COVID Relief Fund
Supporting the local community has been a key component of the Rapids' ONE CLUB ethos, a belief held across the club, from the front office to the technical staff to the players themselves.
In a recent example of this, the Rapids' players, by their own accord, have decided to donate 10 percent of their team win bonuses from the 2020 MLS season to the "Help Colorado Now COVID Relief Fund," which provides funding for local business and organizations that support their community in the fight against COVID.
"As a team, we saw the effect this pandemic continues to have on the community that each of us live in," Rapids defender Drew Moor said. "As players, we simply wanted to make an impact in a positive way. This community supports us when we're on the field. It's our turn to support them in this time of need."
Help Colorado Now supports food banks, telehealth facilities and other important support services for communities hit hard by the pandemic and organizes philanthropic drives and initiatives to make Colorado a better place.
"Many industries of our neighbors, friends and supporters continue to experience the impacts of a once-in-a-lifetime event that no one could possibly have prepared for," Moor added. "This donation to the Colorado COVID Relief Fund will get to the people and communities with the most pressing needs. Colorado COVID Relief has united our region in dealing with the effects of the crisis, and we trust in their ability to take our donation to the places it's needed most."
For Moor and his Rapids teammates, it all comes back to the community.
"Athletes are part of their communities," Moor said. "We live in Arvada, Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Thornton and all around the Denver metro area. These are our homes. These are our neighbors. If we have the ability to support others beyond ourselves and make an impact in our community, we should do it."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 23, 2021
- Canada Soccer's Men's National Team to Commence FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Qualifiers in Orlando - Orlando City SC
- Five RSL Organization Members Selected to CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Rosters - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City SC Acquires Dutch Forward Silvester van der Water - Orlando City SC
- Eriq Zavaleta Re-Signs with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Bassett, Lewis, Trusty and Vines Named to Preliminary Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Justin Morrow Re-Signs with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Army-Navy Cup IX and X Returns to Subaru Park in 2021 - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Unveil 2021 Primary Jersey - Portland Timbers
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Multi-Year Partnership with TikTok - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids Players Support 'Help Colorado Now' COVID Relief Fund - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule
- Rapids Lead MLS Clubs with Four Players Called to U-23 Training Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifiers
- Colorado Rapids 2021 Preseason Roster
- Rapids' Belief in Youth Key to New Assistant Chris Little's Appointment
- Wolde Harris and Chris Little Join Rapids Coaching Staff as Assistants