Argos Face Bombers In Retro Game Friday
Toronto - The Toronto Argonauts are taking things back to the 1950s at its first annual Retro Game on Friday, September 12. In his first game back as Head Coach, Don Matthews and the Boatmen will battle East Division opponents the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in this key match up, beginning at 7:00 p.m. at Rogers Centre. Both teams will wear special 1950s throwback jerseys, which were carefully designed by Reebok Canada, the authentic outfitter of the CFL, who studied photos and other memorabilia before working to combine the football fashions of the past with the performance features of today in a full uniform: jerseys, pants and helmets.
The Retro Game will begin with a pre-game Nissan Tailgate Party at the Bremner Street parking lot, beginning at 5:00 p.m. Featuring '50s-era music, entertainment and more, the pre-game festivities will also play host to the Generation A Kids Zone which includes the RONA Football Interactive Inflatable, 6000 square feet of space for fans of all ages to test their football skills outside of Gate 11. Toronto Argonauts alumni will be featured throughout the Retro Game. Argo legend Nick Volpe, proud owner of the 1950 Mud Bowl game ball with handle coin toss duties alongside CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon. Hank Ilesic and Lance Chomyc will handle kick off duties. Halftime will feature a special performance by the Argos Alumni Cheerleaders as well as a special "Pass It On" presentation from the Toronto Argonauts Alumni to minor football players. A full line of Argo and Bomber retro sideline gear has also been designed by Roger Edwards, a leader in sport and lifestyle fashion. It includes long and short sleeve t-shirts and hats. The game will also include a few surprises on the videoboard and even from the TSN broadcast crew. The Argos' official post game party is at Jack Astor's, 144 Front Street West. Following each home game, the party will feature live music, drink specials and the opportunity to meet your favourite Argos alumni, players and cheerleaders.
The Toronto Argonauts are North America's oldest professional football club, celebrating their 135th anniversary in 2008. As Toronto's #1 community team through player involvement, community programs and The Argos Foundation, the Toronto Argonauts, a member of the Canadian Football League (CFL), have 15 Grey Cup championships to their credit. The Toronto Argonauts are privately-owned by two Toronto-based businessmen. For 2008 season ticket and group sales packages, please contact the sales team at (416) 341-ARGO. For more information on the Toronto Argonauts Football Club, please visit argonauts.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from September 10, 2008
- Ticats Acquire Alain Kashama - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Alouettes Obtain Draft Pick From Hamilton Tiger-Cats For Alain Kashama - Montreal Alouettes
- Larry Taylor Named Special Teams Player Of The Week - Montreal Alouettes
- Superstar class of 2008 to be inducted - CFL
- Mann returns to Eskimo lineup - Edmonton Eskimos
- Lions Wake and Clermont claim weekly CFL awards - B.C. Lions
- CFL names players of the week - CFL
- Argos Face Bombers In Retro Game Friday - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Argonauts Stories
- Argos Sign Five More to Training Camp Roster
- Argos Announce National Ll Chris Van Zeyl Has Been Released
- Argos Sign Two More from 2019 Draft Class; Two Liga de Futbol Americano Players Signed
- Argos Sign Seven from 2019 Draft Class
- QB Ricky Ray Announces Retirement