Anthony Contreras Ties Wins Record for a Fort Wayne Manager
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The TinCaps secured a victory in the final game of the first half of the regular season in style, walking off winners on Father's Day in the bottom of the ninth inning via a Tucupita Marcano RBI single to beat the Lake County Captains (Cleveland Indians affiliate), 4-3. The victory was the 227th in the Fort Wayne managerial career of Anthony Contreras, tying him for the most wins by a manager in franchise history.
The TinCaps (33-35) roared in front in the first thanks to a three-run home run by Agustin Ruiz that traveled 402 feet in the air as it sailed over the right-center field fence. Ruiz has two home runs in the last three games and three dingers in his last eight games.
Gabe Mosser was his usual razor-sharp self in a shortened start, throwing four scoreless innings with six strikeouts and just two hits allowed (one walk). The 23-year-old has issued only eight walks as opposed to 71 strikeouts in 12 starts this season. Mosser is averaging nearly seven strikeouts per start (6.9) in his last seven outings.
After that, the bullpen was stellar in the next four innings. Four TinCaps relievers (Cody Tyler, Carlos Belen, Henry Henry, and Jose Quezada) combined to each pitch scoreless innings with just one total hit allowed. The bullpen racked up six strikeouts and just one walk in those four scoreless frames.
Down to their last three outs, the Captains (40-29) surged back with three runs to tie the game in the top of the ninth. Henry Pujols brought home the first run on an RBI triple and came home to score on a fielding error that advanced the batter, Quentin Holmes, all the way to third base. Holmes promptly came home to tie the game on sacrifice fly.
On this Sunday, the 'Caps wouldn't be denied. Fort Wayne loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, and then Marcano looped a single down the left-field line to score Luis Roman and earn the TinCaps the win. It was Marcano's second walk-off hit at Parkview Field this season - he also had a game-winning single against South Bend on May 23.
Contreras has tied Doug Dascenzo for the franchise record for wins as manager. Dascenzo also won 227 games as the skipper from 2007-09. The franchise was founded in 1993.
While the team isn't in action again until Thursday, infielder Xavier Edwards and pitchers Ryan Weathers and Henry Henry will represent the TinCaps at the Midwest League All-Star game on Tuesday night in South Bend.
Thursday, June 20 @ Great Lakes (7:05 p.m.)
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 16, 2019
- First Half Ends with Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kernels Clinch First-Half Playoff Berth - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Drop Pair, Kernels to Playoffs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Close First Half with 4-3 Win over Whitecaps - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Close First Half with Shutout Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Defeat Bees in First Half Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits End First Half with 3-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Rattlers Drop Final Game of First Half - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Fall 2-1 in First-Half Finale to Lugnuts - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Rally Late, Take Walk-Off Loss to End First Half - Lake County Captains
- At Midway Point, Loons Enter Record Books - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Fall to Loons to Close out First Half - Dayton Dragons
- Nuts Close First Half with 2-1 Triumph - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Ties Wins Record for a Fort Wayne Manager - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lake County (Game 68) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Punch Playoff Ticket - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 18 vs. Peoria (Game 94)
- Mike Ryan from "Le Batard Show" Coming to TinCaps Game
- Ryan Weathers Stars As TinCaps Win Homestand Opener
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 17 vs. Peoria (Game 93)
- TinCaps Hosting Unofficial "The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz" Night on Thursday