TinCaps Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lake County (Game 68)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (32-35, 5th East) vs. Lake County Captains (40-28, 2nd East)
RHP Gabe Mosser vs. RHP Juan Mota
Sunday, June 16 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - First Pitch 1:05 PM (Game 68 / 138)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps' four-game win streak came to end Saturday night in a 7-4 loss that clinched a playoff spot for Lake County. The game ended just before midnight-a 1:01 rain delay preceded the game, and the full nine innings took 3:49 to complete (the longest game for Fort Wayne this season).
MOSSER'S MIDWEST LEAGUE RANKINGS: 2.45 FIP (1st in MWL)... 2.76 xFIP (1st)... 9.29 K/BB (1st)... 1.06 BB/9 (1st)... 2.9% BB% (1st)... 23.9% K-BB% (1st)... 1.07 WHIP (T-4th)... 26.8% K% (5th)... 9.8 K/9 (6th)... 14.9% Line Drive % (8th lowest)... .327 BABIP (8th highest)
RAIN IS NOT A GOOD THING: Last night's game marked the 10th TinCaps game this season impacted by weather. Two of the 'Caps' scheduled 70 games during the first half were outright cancelled due to poor weather. Fort Wayne's luck with Mother Nature has particularly been rotten at Parkview Field, as seven home games have either prematurely ended, been delayed, or outright canceled due to rain in the Summit City this season.
POWER SURGE: During the past five games, Fort Wayne has slugged 13 extra-base hits, including five home runs (Justin Lopez, Jawuan Harris, Luis Roman, Agustin Ruiz, Michael Curry). Prior to last night, the TinCaps had also hit home runs in their previous five games, marking the first time this season that Fort Wayne had hit homers in five consecutive games.
STARTING STRONG: Gabe Mosser, today's starting pitcher for Fort Wayne, owns some of the best pitching numbers in the Midwest League. The 23-year-old Pennsylvania native leads the MWL in BB/9 (1.1), is second in K/BB ratio (9.29), and has issued the fewest walks (7) among starters with at least 10 starts this season. Mosser also has at least six strikeouts in each of his last six starts (dating back to May 9), averaging 7 strikeouts per start during that time.
X IS A FACTOR: Infielder Xavier Edwards leads the MWL in batting average (.347) and OBP (.404). He has the second lowest swinging strike % in the league, as he's swung and missed at only 3.5% of the pitches he's seen. His K% of 10.3% is the 4th lowest in the league. Xavier has made a living hitting the ball the opposite way (48.1% of the time he's put the ball in play, highest rate in the MWL) and swinging early in the count; he's posted a BA of .538 this season on the first pitch of an at bat. 28 of Xavier's league-leading 82 hits (34%) have come while swinging in an 0-0 count (including both of his hits on Friday night).
HUNTING HITS: In 16 games since May 26, catcher Blake Hunt has slashed .321/.355/.446 (.801 OPS) with 5 doubles, a triple, and 9 RBIs.
HOT CURRY: In 18 games since May 26, outfielder Michael Curry has slashed .333/.414/.533 (.948 OPS) with 6 doubles, two home runs, and 11 RBIs. Curry is 6th in the Midwest League in SLG% and 7th in OPS during that time.
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have the best ratio of strikeouts to walks in the MWL this season (3.08). 'Caps pitchers have also walked the fewest batters in the MWL, averaging only 3.0 per 9 innings.
CHASING HISTORY: Anthony Contreras, who's in his 4th season as the team's skipper, won his 226th game as TinCaps manager on Friday night. A win today ties him with Doug Dascenzo (227, 2007-09) for the most wins by a manager in franchise history.
ALL-STARS: The TinCaps will be represented in next Tuesday's Midwest League All-Star game by infielder Xavier Edwards, who will start at second base, plus starting pitcher Ryan Weathers and reliever Henry Henry.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 16, 2019
- First Half Ends with Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kernels Clinch First-Half Playoff Berth - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Drop Pair, Kernels to Playoffs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Close First Half with 4-3 Win over Whitecaps - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Close First Half with Shutout Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Defeat Bees in First Half Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits End First Half with 3-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Rattlers Drop Final Game of First Half - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Fall 2-1 in First-Half Finale to Lugnuts - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Rally Late, Take Walk-Off Loss to End First Half - Lake County Captains
- At Midway Point, Loons Enter Record Books - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Fall to Loons to Close out First Half - Dayton Dragons
- Nuts Close First Half with 2-1 Triumph - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Ties Wins Record for a Fort Wayne Manager - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lake County (Game 68) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Punch Playoff Ticket - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.