Cougars Close First Half with Shutout Win
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (35-34) finished the first half of the season with an 8-0 victory over the Beloit Snappers (27-41) on Sunday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The Cougars win also wrapped up a series victory.
The Cougar pitching staff completed the team's sixth shutout of the season. Levi Kelly (2-0) started it. He didn't allow his first hit until the third inning. Kelly retired the final five batters he faced. The right-hander tossed five shutout innings, yielded just two hits and struck out four, earning him the win. He exited with the lead thanks to Alek Thomas' RBI ground out in the third inning.
Andy Toelken pitched a 1-2-3 sixth inning. Wesley Rodriguez did the same in the seventh inning.
The Cougar offense busted out for seven runs in the final two at-bats. Bases loaded walks to Jose Herrera and Buddy Kennedy made it 3-0 in the seventh. In the eighth, the Cougars strung together five straight one-out hits. Zac Almond's two-run double was followed up by an RBI single by Eduardo Diaz, an RBI ground out by Jose Herrera and a run-scoring single for Buddy Kennedy.
Blake Workman (6) entered the game in a save spot with two outs in the eighth inning. He stranded both inherited runners in the eighth and worked a scoreless ninth to earn the save. Chase Cohen (4-7) took the loss for Beloit. He allowed one run over five innings on the mound.
The Cougars have three days off for the All-Star Break, before resuming action on June 20th at Burlington.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 16, 2019
- First Half Ends with Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kernels Clinch First-Half Playoff Berth - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Drop Pair, Kernels to Playoffs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Close First Half with 4-3 Win over Whitecaps - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Close First Half with Shutout Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Defeat Bees in First Half Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits End First Half with 3-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Rattlers Drop Final Game of First Half - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Fall 2-1 in First-Half Finale to Lugnuts - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Rally Late, Take Walk-Off Loss to End First Half - Lake County Captains
- At Midway Point, Loons Enter Record Books - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Fall to Loons to Close out First Half - Dayton Dragons
- Nuts Close First Half with 2-1 Triumph - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Ties Wins Record for a Fort Wayne Manager - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lake County (Game 68) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Punch Playoff Ticket - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season