Anderson Pitches 'Stormers to Win
John Anderson dealt seven strong innings, and the Barnstormers rapped out 10 hits as Lancaster picked up its first win in five games at Constellation Field, 7-3.
Anderson (7-5) limited the host Sugar Land Skeeters to four hits and a run over his seven-inning stint. The southpaw walked two and struck out five in notching his second straight win.
The lone run off Anderson came as the result of a leadoff homer by ex-Stormer Rico Noel in the sixth inning.
By then, the Barnstormers owned a 5-0 lead. In the third, Melvin Mercedes became the Barnstormers first baserunner of the night with a bouncing single up the middle. Devon Torrence also singled into center as did Darian Sandford to put Lancaster up, 1-0. Following Sandford's steal of second, Caleb Gindl dropped a two-run double deep into the right field corner for a 3-0 edge.
A leadoff walk in the sixth from Matt Purke (3-5) was followed by RBI doubles from Destin Hood and Parker Morin for the 5-0 edge.
Lancaster stretched the lead to 7-1 in the top of the eighth. The Barnstormers loaded the bases on infield singles by Aplin and K.C. Hobson around a walk to Hood. Zach Shank singled home one, and the Barnstormers final run of the night was carried home on a wild pitch by Josh Martin.
Sugar Land struck for single runs off Logan Sawyer in the eighth and Cody Eppley in the ninth to inch closer.
Nate Reed (0-2) makes the start for Lancaster on Saturday against right-hander Chase De Jong (2-0). Fans may tune into the Barnstormers YouTube Channel, starting at 7:45 EDT.
NOTES: Aplin stretched his hitting streak to 14 games, the longest by a Barnstormer this season...Hood has driven home at least one run in nine of his last 11 games...Anderson's quality start was his seventh...Every Barnstormer in the starting lineup had at least one hit...Mercedes was the only batter with two...Gindl was ejected for arguing a play at first base in the seventh inning.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 2, 2019
- Anderson Pitches 'Stormers to Win - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Rockers Claim Pitcher's Duel in Series Opener - Long Island Ducks
- Simon Shines in Series Opener - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Patriots Fall Short in Series-Opener - Somerset Patriots
- Kovu the Bat Dog to Return for Weekend Series at Constellation Field - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Former Revs RHP Grotz Promoted to Seattle - York Revolution
- Revs Obliterate Patriots Completing Four-Game Sweep - York Revolution
- Giansanti Homer Downs 'Stormers - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.