Simon Shines in Series Opener
Waldorf, MD - After a tough road trip, the Blue Crabs looked to rebound in their series against the Somerset Patriots. The Blue Crabs' starter, Kyle Simon (W, 3-6) pitched a complete game, leading Southern Maryland to a 7-1 victory in the series opener.
The Patriots' starter, Liam O'Sullivan (L, 3-6) ran into trouble in the bottom of the third inning, and the Blue Crabs jumped on the board. Josh McAdams led off the inning with a double that deflected off the manual scoreboard in left field. With two outs, Edwin Garcia lined a single into left, scoring McAdams and putting Southern Maryland up 1-0.
After the Patriots posted their lone run in the top of the fifth inning, the Blue Crabs quickly responded. With two outs and a runner on second, Edwin Garcia roped a single into center field, putting the Blue Crabs on top 2-1. The next batter, Joe Benson, doubled down the right field line, scoring Garcia. After an infield single from Dean Green, Cory Vaughn ripped a ground ball to the Burchoil Mini Monster, scoring two more and extending the Southern Maryland lead to 5-1.
The Blue Crabs tacked on two additional runs in the bottom of the seventh inning. With runners on first and second and two outs, Dean Green hit a high fly ball down the left field line. The ball narrowly landed fair, allowing a pair of runners to come around and score, bringing the Blue Crabs advantage to 7-1.
Kyle Simon pitched extremely well for the Blue Crabs tonight. The right-hander allowed only five hits in tonight's contest, and just a single run in his second consecutive complete game. The Blue Crabs' starter also managed to strike out eight batters while not issuing a single walk in a 7-1 Blue Crabs victory.
The Blue Crabs will return home tomorrow, Saturday August 3rd for the Fourth of July redo and second game of a three game set with the Somerset Patriots, and a 6:35 p.m first pitch with a fireworks spectacular to follow.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 2, 2019
- Anderson Pitches 'Stormers to Win - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Rockers Claim Pitcher's Duel in Series Opener - Long Island Ducks
- Simon Shines in Series Opener - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Patriots Fall Short in Series-Opener - Somerset Patriots
- Kovu the Bat Dog to Return for Weekend Series at Constellation Field - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Former Revs RHP Grotz Promoted to Seattle - York Revolution
- Revs Obliterate Patriots Completing Four-Game Sweep - York Revolution
- Giansanti Homer Downs 'Stormers - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Crabs Drop Heartbreaker at Home in Front of 6,954
- Crabs Bullpen Dominates in 6-2 Triumph over Lancaster
- Silva, Lawrence Named Atlantic League's August Player, Pitcher of the Month
- Blue Crabs Fail to Sweep Ducks; Drop Series Finale 15-6
- Southern Maryland Back in First Place After 7-4 Beatdown of Long Island