Anderson and Samberg Prepare for World Juniors
Waterloo, Iowa - Former Waterloo Black Hawks defensemen Mikey Anderson and Dylan Samberg - now freshman teammates at the University of Minnesota-Duluth - were both named to the United States' preliminary roster for the 2018 World Junior Championship on Tuesday.
The 28-player list revealed by USA Hockey will be trimmed to 23 ahead of this year's competition in Buffalo, which runs from December 26th to January 5th. The United States is seeking to defend its title after winning the 2017 competition in Montreal.
Anderson spent two seasons in Waterloo, appearing in 111 regular season games during 2015/16 and 2016/17. Last winter, his +29 plus/minus margin tied for second in the United States Hockey League. Over his regular season junior career, Anderson had a +35 differential with six goals and 44 assists. He also contributed eight points in17 Clark Cup playoff games over two seasons. Last summer, the L.A. Kings selected Anderson during the fourth round of the 2017 NHL Draft.
Opening his freshman campaign at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, Anderson is the Bulldogs' highest-scoring defenseman at this stage of the season with three goals and six assists during 14 appearances. That count ties him for second in scoring overall on the squad. Meanwhile, Samberg has played in all 17 UMD games with four assists.
Late last year and into the playoffs, Samberg bolstered the Waterloo blue line. The Hermantown, Minnesota, native tallied a goal and an assist in six regular season games. During the playoffs which followed, he added another three points in eight games and was +3. After the season, he was picked in the second round of the NHL Draft by the Winnipeg Jets.
Anderson and Samberg have the opportunity to be the first Black Hawks to represent the USA in World Junior competition since Brock Boeser in 2016. From December 15th through 19th, they will attend a training camp in Columbus, Ohio, with the others named to the preliminary roster, followed by an additional camp in Jamestown, New York, from December 20th to 23rd. The U.S. will play pre-tournament games against Belarus and Sweden as part of the roster evaluation process. The final 23-man team is expected to be named by December 23rd.
Pool play at the 2018 World Junior Championship will include games against Denmark, Slovakia, Canada, and Finland. The game against Canada will be played outdoors at New Era Stadium, home of the Buffalo Bills.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2017
- Larsson Named to Sweden World Juniors Roster - Tri-City Storm
- Pair of Former RoughRiders named to Preliminary U.S. National Team. - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- 12-6-17 O'Reilly Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospect Game - Madison Capitols
- Three Phantoms Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospect Game - Youngstown Phantoms
- Nelson & St. Ivany Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Five Stars Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Lincoln Stars
- Three Saints Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- GURNEY, LILLIBRIDGE, McLAUGHLIN SELECTED FOR 2018 USHL/NHL TOP PROSPECTS GAME - Chicago Steel
- Drury, Moe to Appear at Highly-Scouted Event - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Two Storm Players Selected to 2018 NHL Top Prospect Game Roster - Tri-City Storm
- 2018 USHL NHL Top Prospects Roster Released - Omaha Lancers
- RoughRiders Roy Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospect Game - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- 2018 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game Rosters Announced - USHL
- Olympic Ice Sheet at USA Hockey Arena Named in Honor of Mitchel Kiefer - U.S. National Team
- U.S. Women's National Team Falls to Canada, 2-0, in Winnipeg; Team USA outshoots Canada, 32-21. - U.S. National Team
- Joe Abate Commits to Nebraska-Omaha - Youngstown Phantoms
- FORMER USHL TALENT LOOKS TO LEAD TEAM USA AT 2018 WJC - USHL
- Anderson and Samberg Prepare for World Juniors - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 2018 U.S. National Junior Team Preliminary Roster Announced - U.S. National Team
- RoughRiders Add Defenseman Denman - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Stars Host Back the Badge Night this Thursday - Lincoln Stars
- Hawks Collect Coats Friday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- USHL Players of the Week - Week 9 - Tri-City Storm
- USHL Names Two Storm Players to Players of the Week List - Tri-City Storm
- Perbix Named USHL Player of the Week - Omaha Lancers
- USHL Players of the Week - USHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.