Amerks Snap P-Bruins Eight-Game Point Streak
Rochester, NY - The Providence Bruins fell to the Rochester Americans Friday night 2-1, putting an end to their season-high eight game point streak. The P-Bruins got their lone goal from Zach Senyshyn while Zane McIntyre made his 14th start of the season in net.
The Amerks were opportunistic in the first period, taking advantage of their two best chances. They opened the scoring on the power play with 7:01 remaining in the period as they were able to figure out Providence's top-ranked penalty kill. Brendan Guhle fired a low shot from the point that McIntyre stopped, but the rebound went to Justin Bailey in front. He snuck a backhander over the P-Bruins goalie and gave Rochester a 1-0 lead. With 1:44 left to play, Bailey struck again for his second tally of the period. He intercepted a pass in the Providence defensive zone, went forehand-backhand for his seventh goal of the season, and gave the Amerks a 2-0 lead after one.
The P-Bruins were awarded a power play early in the second period and Senyshyn delivered with his eighth goal of the season. Peter Cehlarik passes the puck from the right point to the left dot where Mark McNeill was waiting for it. He sent it across the goal mouth to a waiting Senyshyn in the right slot, who deflected it by Jonas Johansson. Martin Bakos had a chance midway through the period to tie the score, but a terrific sprawling save by Johansson robbed him of the chance and kept the score 2-1 Amerks into the second intermission.
It was an offensive struggle for Providence in the third, as it took almost 12 minutes before they recorded their first shot of the period. McIntyre stood his ground in net, making some big saves to rob the Amerks and keep it a one-goal game. The P-Bruins pulled their goalie with 1:03 left and nearly tied the score on two occasions. The puck nearly floated over a stretched out Johansson, but it trickled by in the crease and never went in. Szwarz thought he scored the tying goal as time expired, but the horn sounded right before the puck crossed the line and Rochester survived with a 2-1 win.
McIntyre stopped 25 of 27 shots while Johansson stopped 26-27. Providence was 1-3 on the power play and 2-3 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins continue their roadtrip tomorrow night at 7pm in Belleville when they take on the Senators for the first time this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2018
- Bailey Lifts Amerks to 2-1 Win over Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wild One Goes Wolves' Way - Chicago Wolves
- First Career Pro Shutout for Carter Hart - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ads Fall Just Shy against Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- Checkers Blister Wolf Pack, 7-4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Muse Blanks Monsters with 32-Save Shutout - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Shutout Devils, 5-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Win Wild One over Wolf Pack - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Blanked by Phantoms, 1-0 - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Stymied in 1-0 Road Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Recap: Devils Blanked by Crunch, 5-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Score Four Unanswered in 5-2 Win over Springfield - Utica Comets
- Amerks Snap P-Bruins Eight-Game Point Streak - Providence Bruins
- Senators Blow Past Laval After Explosive Second Period - Belleville Senators
- Hawryluk's 2-Point Night Not Enough in Frustrating Battle at Utica - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Paul Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Klim Kostin Named to Preliminary Roster for Russia at World Junior Championships - San Antonio Rampage
- Capitals Recall Riley Barber from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Moose Release Mingo - Manitoba Moose
- Game #21 Preview: Tucson vs. Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Austin Wagner Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Host $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs and Athletic Socks Giveaway Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Diego Gulls Sign Right Wing Matt Berry to PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Stockton Kicks off Weekend Series with Manitoba Moose Tonight at 7 PM - Stockton Heat
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, December 7 - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Tennyson, Wedgewood - Rochester Americans
- Canes Recall Nedeljkovic from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.