Americans Shock Silvertips
KENNEWICK, Wash. - Jake Sloan and Samuel Huo each collected three point games to help lift the Tri-City Americans over the Everett Silvertips, 6-2 on Saturday night in WHL action at Toyota Center.
UP NEXT: The Silvertips return to play on Tuesday at 7:05pm in downtown Everett, hosting the Spokane Chiefs (KRKO/WHL Live) in the second meeting of the season. Viewing packages remain on sale at watch.chl.ca. Play-by-play "Voice of the Tips" Mike Benton will have pre-game coverage beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Despite holding a lead in shots at 14-6 in the first period, the Tips fell into a 2-0 hole beginning with Edge Lambert's shorthanded goal, set up at the net by Samuel Huo at 4:11. Sloan then set a screen at the crease and deflected Ian Ferguson's shot for his second goal of the year at 11:58.
Rhett Melnyk then snuck a low shot from the base of the right circle past Braden Holt at 5:52 of the second period for a 3-0 lead, with Dustin Wolf taking over in net for the rest of the game. The Tips, after managing a disallowed goal on a Cole Fonstad rebound soon after, eventually broke through on Fonstad's snap shot for a power play goal from the right circle at 7:22.
Gage Goncalves stashed a rebound at the left post for the Tips second power play goal of the night to get back to within a one-goal deficit at 13:20, and the Tips continued to push with momentum seeking the tying goal. But at the end of a Tri-City power play, Booker Daniel converted a feed by Nick Bowman to the slot for a 4-2 cushion with 3:53 left in the period.
Huo's shorthanded breakaway goal at 11:16 of the third period and Connor Bouchard's empty netter with 2:18 left wrapped up the scoring.
FINAL BOX SCORE
3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. Jake Sloan (TC)
2. Samuel Huo (TC)
3. Rhett Melnyk (TC)
GAME NOTES: Silvertips scratches included Zach Ashton, Ben Hemmerling, Brady Van Herk, and Evan May ... Goncalves extended his point streak to five straight games ... Zellweger, due to depart next week for Team Canada (U18 World Championships), has eight points in the last four games.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2021
- Penalties Doom Americans in 3-2 Loss to Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Broncos Drop Tight, Physical Game to Raiders - Swift Current Broncos
- T-Birds Power Past Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Raiders Score Three in Third to Double Up Broncos - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Drop Close Game to First Place Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Bruce Enjoying the Experience - Winnipeg Ice
- Western Hockey League Statement on COVID-19 Testing Results - WHL
- Americans Look for Weekend Sweep as They Take on Seattle Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Giants Winning Streak Snapped After 6-3 Loss to Prince George - Vancouver Giants
- Game Preview: Blades at Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Vancouver Giants Sign 2004-Born Forward Jaden Lipinski - Vancouver Giants
- Warriors Narrowly Fall to Saskatoon - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Americans Take Down Silvertips in 6-2 Victory - Tri-City Americans
- Cougars Slay Giants - Prince George Cougars
- Robins, MacInnes Lead Blades to 4-2 Victory over Moose Jaw - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Have Impressive Start But Fall 5-2 to Hurricanes - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Shock Silvertips - Everett Silvertips
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Garrett Pilon Becomes the 20th Silvertip to Play in the National Hockey League
- Silvertips Put Bow on Campaign with 4-1 Victory
- Silvertips Smother Spokane, 5-1
- Goncalves, 'Tips Rally for Shootout Win over Seattle
- Kasper Puutio Signs Two-Year Contract with KalPa Kuopio of the Finnish Elite League