Alum Zach Aston-Reese Makes NHL Debut with Pittsburgh Penguins
LINCOLN, Neb. - Lincoln Stars alum Zach Aston-Reese ('10-'13) made his NHL debut on Saturday night with the Pittsburgh Penguins against the New Jersey Devils.
Aston-Reese, 23, played 138 games with the Stars between 2010-13, recording 16 goals and 34 assists for 50 points with 188 penalty minutes and a +11 rating. The Staten Island, N.Y. native closed his USHL career in 2012-13 by setting career-highs in all major scoring categories, tallying 30 points (nine goals, 21 assists) through 60 games. Aston-Reese was named to the 2012 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in his second season and scored in his Stars debut on Jan. 7, 2011 against the Tri-City Storm.
In four seasons with Northeastern University, the 6-foot, 204-pound forward totalled 66 goals and 82 assists for 148 points with 182 penalty minutes through 145 games. He earned NCAA First Team All-American Honors during his senior season after compiling 63 points (31 goals, 32 assists) through 38 games and was nominated as a Hobey Baker Award Finalist while earning Hockey East Player of the Year. Aston-Reese finished his collegiate career 12th all-time in scoring for Northeastern and placed sixth in single-season scoring during the 2016-17 season.
Aston-Reese has played 51 games with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL) since the end of the 2016-17 season, totalling 12 goals and 25 assists for 37 points. He is third in scoring in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, tabbing 29 points (nine goals, 20 assists) through 41 games. He was called up by Pittsburgh on Saturday and played against the Devils.
The Stars return to the Ice Box on Friday, Feb. 16 at 7:35 p.m. against the Omaha Lancers. Group and jump-in season tickets for the 2017-18 season are available by calling 402-474-7827. The Stars mobile app is also available in the iTunes and Google Play stores with "tap to buy" tickets, in-game push notifications and a rewards program that puts fans in the skates of a player.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- USHL Names Players of the Week - Week 18 - USHL
- Hawks Host "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em" Saturday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tristan Ashbrook Named USHL Forward of the Week - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Blank Bucs for Fourth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Alum Zach Aston-Reese Makes NHL Debut with Pittsburgh Penguins - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Execute Multi-Player Trade with Fargo - Chicago Steel
- Lancers Take Down Aces, 8-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Recap - EARLY START HELPS STARS TO 5-3 WIN OVER TEAM USA - Lincoln Stars
- Lancers Make Deal with Aces - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.